Which dorm @ Cal Poly SLO?

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Because I'm Early Admission, I get first pick of dorms, so which one should I apply to?

A friend of my mom's who went there 10 years ago (graduated 1995) was in the Sierra Madre dorms and said it was like a steel prison secluded from the rest of the campus. Even though it was very open and promoted a social atmosphere.

He then said that the redbricks located near the Performing Arts Theatre are "nicer." But that's all he could pretty much tell me.

So, anyone who goes there now want to give me suggestions or the basic over-view of the dorms? I'm not sure what I'm looking for, so any opinions are welcome.

Dec 4, 2002
I stayed in the newer ones near the entrance...they were meh.

Furthiest away from any clases, yet the newest buildings. Its hard b/c I didn't see any of the dorms in the red brick buildings. As it was explained to me, incoming freshmen with the same major usually stay in the same building.

Pho King

Sep 9, 2004
Yosemite dorms (farthest away, near entrance) are the ones I stayed in. It was further from campus, but the floors were co-ed (girls and guys); meaning easy access.

The Sierra Madre ones were okay, I think the hottest girls were in those. The red bricks were categorized in terms of major so there was an architecture one, an engineering one, etc.

I think the engineering one was called Teneya, I remember walking though that place - it was disgusting - dirty and smelly. But these are the guys you're going to spend most of your classes with, so it might help to be around them.

Pho King

Sep 9, 2004
Oh, when I graduated, a couple years ago - they were building new dorms - can you apply to those? I believe they were going to be apartment style high rises.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Pho King
Yosemite dorms (farthest away, near entrance) are the ones I stayed in. It was further from campus, but the floors were co-ed (girls and guys); meaning easy access.

The Sierra Madre ones were okay, I think the hottest girls were in those. The red bricks were categorized in terms of major so there was an architecture one, an engineering one, etc.

I think the engineering one was called Teneya, I remember walking though that place - it was disgusting - dirty and smelly. But these are the guys you're going to spend most of your classes with, so it might help to be around them.
Yeah, see, I don't want to be around Engineers. I think it's a toss up, when I think of the typical Engineering student, I think of someone with little self esteem who doesn't bathe. When I think of Liberal Arts student, I think of emotional drama whore. I'm looking for a good mix of everyone. Would that be the Yosemite dorm? Isn't Yosemite the one reserved for upper-classmen?

Dec 4, 2002

Was yosemite up on the right side when enter the campus?

Pho King

Sep 9, 2004
Yeah, the grey 3 level ones on the right . If MrCodeDude applies to those, I'd suggest try to get either the second or third floor. No one likes to live in the "dungeon" Yosemite isn't an upper classman dorm, although there might be some living there. I had football players in my dorm, it was always a good laugh when they got drunk and passed out in the stairwell. If you want a good mix, I think yosemite has a multicultural tower - but that's pretty much like living in the bay area.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude

Yeah, see, I don't want to be around Engineers. I think it's a toss up, when I think of the typical Engineering student, I think of someone with little self esteem who doesn't bathe. When I think of Liberal Arts student, I think of emotional drama whore. I'm looking for a good mix of everyone. Would that be the Yosemite dorm? Isn't Yosemite the one reserved for upper-classmen?

That is the wrong attitude.. ;)

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: CheapArse
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude

That is the wrong attitude.. ;)
I don't like smelly people. :(

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Ok, I'm a third year EE and I was actually in North Mountain freshman year. It was engineering overflow that year, but pretty much all dorms are engineering overflow. Anway, North Mountain was pretty nice, bigger rooms, one bathroom for 4 rooms, and the doors opened to the outside inside of a hallway. You are going to feel more like a community in the red bricks (Tenaya for engineers), Sierra Madre, or Yosemite. I wouldn't really recommend Sierra Madre or Yosemite because they are a little bit farther away from class, although they are much closer to the freshman parking lot.

Pretty much all returning students will be in Cerro Vista (the brand spanking new apartments which are really nice to live in) and a few will be in North Mountain. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: rockyct
Ok, I'm a third year EE and I was actually in North Mountain freshman year. It was engineering overflow that year, but pretty much all dorms are engineering overflow. Anway, North Mountain was pretty nice, bigger rooms, one bathroom for 4 rooms, and the doors opened to the outside inside of a hallway. You are going to feel more like a community in the red bricks (Tenaya for engineers), Sierra Madre, or Yosemite. I wouldn't really recommend Sierra Madre or Yosemite because they are a little bit farther away from class, although they are much closer to the freshman parking lot.

Pretty much all returning students will be in Cerro Vista (the brand spanking new apartments which are really nice to live in) and a few will be in North Mountain. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Red Ball.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Okay, I'm finally submitting my application. But they said Teneya is the dorm for Business majors and Santa Lucia is for Engineering majors.

North Mountain sounds like a better choice because they have bigger rooms, but since I won't know a lot of people going into college, I think a South Mountain dorm might be better suited for me.