Which do you prefer?

IL2SturmovikPilot

Jan 31, 2008
Like the topic title says,which do you prefer?

As for me,i prefer older games,probably because there are more old games that i like than new ones,and in a very few cases,a newer game in a game series/franchise i like didn't get me as much as the older game(s) in the series/franchise (For example,i'll take Rome: Total War over Medieval 2: Total War)

Sorry if this thread ain't allowed here or its been posted recently :p

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I strongly prefer newer games. There are a few gems among older games, but usually the newer ones make the old ones look really clumsy (and not just from a graphical standpoint).

When you're looking at games in a series, usually each installment improves upon the previous one. That's not always true by any means, but with good franchises the developers learn a little bit with each release.

Furthermore, I just don't get really nostalgic for old games. Without nostalgia, it's hard to enjoy those games.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It depends. I love some old types of games, like space shooters (Wing Commander) and Adventure Games (Space Quest, Under a Killing Moon) which don't seem to be made anymore; but I like the new games that came out last year too. Oblivion was fun, as was Stalker and all of HL2. I even like Prey. I don't like the older FPS's as much as the newer ones, because the story lines seem to be better now. There have been a lot of crappy games that have come out recently as well, so it depends I guess.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
If Rome: Total War counts as an 'older' game these days, 90+% of my top 20 games are old.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I was thinking that, Rome Total War is a pretty fresh and new game, by old I'm thinking around the 80's/90's, not 2004 :p

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Well, I play DotA (Warcraft 3 map) more than anything... and I still play Starcraft.

But really, I don't care if it's old or new. If it's good, I play it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I play a mix of both. Of course, depending on just how old you're considering to be "old," there may be a lot more old games than new ones out there. By my standards, pretty much anything 2004 and onward is relatively recent.

:thumbsup:

IL2SturmovikPilot

Jan 31, 2008
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
If Rome: Total War counts as an 'older' game these days, 90+% of my top 20 games are old.
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
I was thinking that, Rome Total War is a pretty fresh and new game, by old I'm thinking around the 80's/90's, not 2004 :p

Guess we have different definitions of 'old' then,XD

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670
I play a mix of both. Of course, depending on just how old you're considering to be "old," there may be a lot more old games than new ones out there. By my standards, pretty much anything 2004 and onward is relatively recent.

:thumbsup:
Exactly. Given a choice between 2 -good- games I might play the newer one first, but even then it depends on which one sounds more interesting.

Last year I mostly played RPGs, but covering a decade: Fallout 1 and Planescape: Torment (both replays), Vampire: Bloodlines, KOTOR 2, Neverwinter 2, and Xenosaga 1 on the PS2.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Old games. I miss Dark Queen of Krynn, Commander Keen, and Jill of the Jungle. :)

New games just don't have the same addiction for me. I'll play one for a month (I don't get to play a lot), then play a different one. And I'll return to another game a few months to a year later, repeat. TItan Quest has gotten me and kept me addicted for a while now though.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Old games. I miss Dark Queen of Krynn, Commander Keen, and Jill of the Jungle. :)

Did you just say that you missed Commander Keen? That was one game I could never get into, although I liked playing the Pong mini-game at the menu. It is kind of funny that iD put Commander Keen into Doom 2 though. I think I was probably too old to think much of it when I played it though. It was kind of like Duke Nukem, but not as fun.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I like both old and new. I play mostly online games and those seem to get a little better with each generation for me. Probably because the internet and the online gaming environment seems to be more organized and there seems to be more and more people playing online games, not necessarily because the games are better.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Like the topic title says,which do you prefer?

*Good games* .. and i would prefer "new" although at the very least an old classic game i never played before
.. if it is old, i would at least like the resolution to be better than 10x7 and run on WinVista :p

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
"Good" is relative. Though Thief: The Dark Project could never stand up graphical wise to today's offerings, I am hard pressed to find a newer game that comes close to T:DP's story line, immersive content, and creativity.

Of course, to be fair, I have not nearly played the many of the latest offerings. I may give Bioshock a try.

I agree with apoppin!

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Mostly new games (because I am a whore for eye candy). However, there are a few older games that I consistently go back to such as Shogo and Rogue Squadron 3d (if we're talking 5+ years old). I love the game play of Shogo (especially the mech part) and Rogue Squadron lets me get my Star Wars fix (but is a bitch to get working on XP). I also still haven't found a driving game I like as much as NFS Porsche Unleashed.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I used to love Wolfenstein Enemy Territory...I thought it was one of the highest quality multiplayer games ever...but I went back to it after a few months of Team Fortress 2 and MY GAWD it is so crappy... The characters move like bricks...Aiming seems much more imprecise. Team balance was off...The sounds seem week and unsatisfying...and even when fragging someone with a grenade. Everything just seemed so choppy and fake. It doesn't come close to the polish and "solidness" of modern games like TF2.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Old games are Wolfentein 3D and Mechwarrior (the first one, overhead and RPG-is).

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
I used to love Wolfenstein Enemy Territory...I thought it was one of the highest quality multiplayer games ever...but I went back to it after a few months of Team Fortress 2 and MY GAWD it is so crappy... The characters move like bricks...Aiming seems much more imprecise. Team balance was off...Everything just seemed so choppy and fake. It doesn't come close to the polish of modern games like TF2.

Those are modern games to me. I think of the original Half Life as still a newer game.

AllGamer

Apr 26, 2006
i always had much more enjoyable fun with the old games from the DOS era

very few windows games comes to mind

all 3D FPS are kinda boring, it's just pointless.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Originally posted by: queequeg99
I also still haven't found a driving game I like as much as NFS Porsche Unleashed.
i just installed this on my htpc last night.

if it even works right (and i've heard it won't without some messing around) it won't matter much since my tv cuts the top and bottom off of the main menu screen. oddly enough, it didn't cut anything off during the 10 seconds of a race i tried out :confused:

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Originally posted by: queequeg99 I also still haven't found a driving game I like as much as NFS Porsche Unleashed.

NFS PU was the reason I ended up dual booting 98/XP on my old box:). Couldn't run it in XP, no matter what I tried, but that was years ago.

I really love/appreciate the old games. That said, any good game today will thrill me almost as much. Even thrill me more from a graphics perspective, obviously.

So I guess my vote is for "good games" old OR new. But old gets the slight edge from a sentimental perspective.

I remember Gunship 2000, Doom 1, Heretic, Descent...fondly.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ultralight
"Good" is relative. Though Thief: The Dark Project could never stand up graphical wise to today's offerings, I am hard pressed to find a newer game that comes close to T:DP's story line, immersive content, and creativity.

Of course, to be fair, I have not nearly played the many of the latest offerings. I may give Bioshock a try.

I agree with apoppin!

well, thanks .. and some of the Fan-made mods are as good as Thief - TX2, Shadows of the Metal Age is awesome and in places improves on the story!

as to BS .. don't bother IF you like SS2
-IF you can somehow get past the fact that BioShock is a Watered-down [pun intended], shameless & consolized rip-off of SS2, it isn't half bad

AND do you not think that "andrew ryan" is INSPIRED by John Hellerman of Magnum PI fame?

Would you kindly take a look, please?

Andrew Ryan:

http://images.google.com/imgre...ure%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den
http://images.google.com/imgre...ure%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den
http://images.google.com/image...+picture&um=1&ie=UTF-8

John Hellerman - Jonathan Quayle Higgins III/Magnum P.I.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1767544832/ch0026051
http://images.google.com/image...num+PI+picture&spell=1

--Is it just me?
:confused: