Which do You Prefer: Headphones or Speakers?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Normally, I'd say speakers. But some headphones are damn sweet... It depends on what kind of a surrounding you're in, I think.

If you still want to be able to hear other people and talk somewhat, then I think speakers are most definitely better. But if you want very high quality sound without the outter interference of the world, I think headphones are a nice thing to have, if you have GOOD ones.

What do you guys think?

-RSI

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Speakers whenever possible, baby. Headphones only when you can't disturb your fellow life forms.

Headphones simply can't duplicate the full sound field you get with a 5.1 or better setup. And adequate bass response is always a problem. Plus they hurt my ears.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Sorry to hear that, Evan, man... My SB16 is still rockin' hard at home... :p

Ahh it's nice to be welcomed back to my 500 meg mp3 collection at my cousin's house (cable, hehe) :)

Headphones can have excellent sound if you choose the right set ... And they aren't bass-lacking at all, again if you choose the right ones.

Good speakers do kick ass though ... nothing quite like cranking up the volume on a sweet set of speakers (with tons of bass, of course) :D :D

Toolman

Oct 10, 1999
When I'm home alone I prefer the kick ass feel of my Klipsch Promedias. When the wife and 4 kids are around I can't seem to crank the volume loud enough to totally eliminate their noise w/o hurting my hears, so that's when I enjoy the headphones.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
The headphones I'm using right now sound damn good... But not when the MP3 cuts off... Damn P166 can't do anything properly :(

Too bad my cousin is hogging his P3 :( lol

Normally a P166/96MB would be able to play mp3s flawlessly, but this one is so bloated it's not funny ... the mouse lags like hell :eek:

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I prefer my 4 speakers + 2 subs combo to headphones.

Two words: No wire! :)

Also, headphones don't make your pot belly vibrate in synch to the tunes.

Speak Softly (Savage Rose)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
speakers... because the wires suck...

ask again when i have wireless headphones.

Toolman

Oct 10, 1999
RSI, have you tried overclocking that 166? I had my old 166 up to 210. Might help a bit.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Toolman,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't be doing that ... I'm at my cousin's house, and this machine is used by my cousin's parents to do simple work, email, etc - so it does the trick just fine, regardless of the bloatedness.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Headphones... no question! My Grado SR60's are totally amazing... I have yet to find a pair of speakers that can produce as much detail as the Grados can. It's possible, you just have to spend many $$$ to do it, and the Grados are seriously cheap. You can't buy better sound for the money, IMHO...

Dave

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well I have good speakers on my home theatre system and good headphones on my computer. I've got a Boston Acoustics Dolby Digital 5.1 surround (Center, Sub, two front and two back) in the home theatre and then some cheap PC speakers (two satellites and a sub) on my PC.

HOWEVER! I have a top-of-the-line ($450) pair of Sennhieser headphones that simply ROCK. They sound so awesome and you can't even feel them on your head. They're plush and suede...mmmm....definately money well spent.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I only use head phones when I'm listening to a personal cd player. I never use them on my computer.

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
Lets start this off. I have Sennheiser MD580's, the second highest quality pair of headphones that Sennheiser offers, running *barely* behind the MD600 in quality, and *FAR* behind in price :p

Now, if you play competively, you must have headphones of this quality. I got mine for $135 with a dolby 5.1 decoder and amp.

It's this simple - at times, when not playing to win, i like speakers. It allows me to *FEEL* the bass running through my body. When i blast someone away with my P90 in counterstrike, and feel each shot pulsate through my body as i fire, it gives an experience that no headphone could counter. However, when playing competively, it is necessary to have my Sennheisers. Directional audio is everything, in every game. In UT, when i hear someone loading rockets behind me, i can turn and kill them. Note i said "behind me." If you were running a 3 piece set (the most common, and if you say no, you know that your rear satelites are not evenly placed behind you at half the distance of your main sats) you would not hear that it was behind you. You would then spin and look, and *possibly* hit him before he unloaded on you. With the Sennheisers, I can spin to within 15 degrees of him, and then aim and fire.

When youre sniping on in CS, and you hear footsteps -behind you- you will be able to pull your pistol and turn and wait for the attacker, and get him. Without the headphones, you can get confused while in scope, and not KNOW where the steps are coming from.

<< Headphones can't give you that bass and don't have that same sound to em. >>

Common misconception. When you put on some real headphones (grados, sennheisers, high end sony/koss to a lesser extent) and not earbuds, you will eat your words. When the sound is of such high quality and is so clear and sharp that the start of a sound makes your ears flex and sends sensations around your body, you will know you are getting the experience.

If you havent tried some high end cans, go to a retailer and try them. THEN talk to me about speakers being better.

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Headphones are definitely the only way to go for LAN parties, but I prefer pumping my computer sound through my digital 5.1 system when playing games with EAX (especially ones that offer particularly haunting sound effects).

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
<<It allows me to *FEEL* the ... running through my body. When i blast someone away ... and feel each shot pulsate through my body as i fire, it gives an experience that no ... could counter>>

Seph, you make it sound so orgasmic!

djk

Aug 22, 2000
I prefer speakers.. although headphones are more crystal clear and detailed, they give you a &quot;on the top of your head&quot; sound.. everything is like, dead center.. no soundstage or anything.. I guess I just like it when my subwoofer moves my foundation.

SeeET

Sep 3, 2000
Big badass speakers! Nothing can come close in quality or for the total home theater experience!

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
simple, both!

I love my sennheiser 545, I can bring them anywhere, whereas bulky speakers I cannot. and these headphone does deliver bass and something that Seph X said (those Directional stuff), I can't feel it significantly though.

but of course, I can blast my speaker up so I can MP3 in showers or in the kitchen

I am a proud owner of a BA 4800.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well the whole concept is silly, because for as long as I'd listened, I never heard any sound out of these forums.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
poor moonbeam, those voices in his head are over powering the sound enabled forums... :p