Question Which cpu should I go with?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
So I have a real old system, a i5 3570k, 16 GB ram, 980TI, play @ 1440P, might eventually upgrade to 4K later but I love my current monitor.

my cpu is definitely bottlenecking my 980TI in many games, specifically those that uses lots of threads like Battlefield 5. I am a huge BF fan, and really looking forward to next Battlefield.

I know alder lake is coming out soon, but I just got lucky and got my hands on a 3080TI from EVGA paying MSRP price. directly from EVGA

I would like to upgrade my cpu/ram/mobo, already upgraded Powersupply to 1000 Watts. I just don't know what chip to go with? I do have microcenter locally and I know I can get some decent prices. I was looking at I9-10850k, or I7-10700k. I heard 11th gen not much of an upgrade.

Or do I go AMD but which AMD? I heard high end AMD chips very hard to find. I prefer gigabyte boards, have always used that in my builds and been rock solid for me.

Any suggestions? What CPU really is best for 3080TI so it won't be a bottleneck?

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
Buddy of mine had a nice big case like that. Running a 3700x and RX580 and it was all fine. 2 front intakes, one exhaust fan.

Then... we put the EVGA 3080 in and it's dumping like 300W of heat in the case in WarZone. Case gets hot, small office heats up by the end of the session.

My $.02? Go a little nuts on the fans. Max the intake fans. Put some top fans in to exhaust.

Buddy in question went full 14cm Noctuas in all slots given his case could and while his office still heats up, it sounds like the case itself isn't hotboxing.

Games that are really pushing the GPU are going to generate a ton of heat with these new GPUs and the ever growing power envelope.

well for intake fans in the front it came with a phantaek 200 MM fan, i can replace it with 2 x 140 MM fans or 2 X120 MM fans. I am not sure how much of a difference that will make? I can try that I guess maybe get noctua 140 MM fans for front intake as well and remove 200MM fan to see if it changes anything

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I wouldn't mess with the 200mm personally, while they don't pack velocity usually they pack CFM.

I meant the top. Looks like you can add 3x 14cm to the top? That'd be a huge boost in creating negative pressure in the top of the case and help evacuate hot air. I'd even start with adding one or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: kongfranon

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
Just to give a quick update, I think I found something that definitely reduced my temperatures, i was doing some googling and found a thread someone else talking something similar regarding my gigabyte z590 Aorus board, and someone recommended not only to disable MCE but also go into Turbo Power Limits and change it to POR. That supposedly just turning off MCE does not bring it back to Intel stock spec 100%

I tried that, no idea what POR even does, all I know is I saw a difference in that it definitely lowered my CPU temperatures about 10-15 degrees lower. I am now seeing in Call of duty 60-70, and once in a while a spike to 73 or 75 on core 1 and core2 but just for a second or two. I also tested it in BF5, and seeing 70-75, with spikes sometimes up to 82-83 basically on core1 and core2. I don't understand enough about this architecture but I gather core1/core2 works the most which is why seeing spikes there more then others?

Either way I think this is a nice improvement, and not sure what I lost exactly. I did notice FPS went down a little in CoD but not a lot though that I noticed in terms of FPS

So thinking that my noctua and cooling is ok and dont have to reseat and clean out thermal paste, I might still be able to improve it a little by adding some more fans but if I can keep temps around 60-75 while gaming I think that is great no? Also I ran cinebench again and that did not go past 83, while the first time I ran it if i recall I was hitting 88- 90

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Nice find on that setting, I think you are good to go, even if I would personally add another exhaust fan at the top of the case.

Side note: What I find amazing is how Intel gives motherboard makers so much leeway in shipping boards with these gonzo default settings. Worse is trying to track them down and set them to safer/saner settings.

Maybe Intel's hands are tied? I would assume that they could put something in their contracts for the chipsets indicating that all stock UEFI settings should be set to certain values w/regards to power. It seems like they could negotiate this if they so desired.

It's telling that Intel's warranty with regards to OC'ing says power limit manipulations are OK, multiplier manipulation is not.

Last edited:

kongfranon

Feb 13, 2017
Nice find on that setting, I think you are good to go, even if I would personally add another exhaust fan at the top of the case.

Side note: What I find amazing is how Intel gives motherboard makers so much leeway in shipping boards with these gonzo default settings. Worse is trying to track them down and set them to safer/saner settings.

Maybe Intel's hands are tied? I would assume that they could put something in their contracts for the chipsets indicating that all stock UEFI settings should be set to certain values w/regards to power. It seems like they could negotiate this if they so desired.

It's telling that Intel's warranty with regards to OC'ing says power limit manipulations are OK, multiplier manipulation is not.

Thanks!

Agreed, I knew going in buying this chip would be hot based on reviews and not a lot of headroom to overlock but chip was fast enough I don't need to overclock and figured with noctua at stock settings it would be fine, even if I did not find this like you said I probably be fine.

I do agree I looked in the motherboard manual and they don't even say what POR does. It just says there are 3 options and list them, but after more research I found this on a reddit forum what POR is

"Enforce POR Select POR (Plan of Record) to enforce POR restrictions on DDR4 frequency and voltage programming. The options are POR and Disable.” also “Enforce POR: Enable to enforce Plan Of Record restrictions for DDR4 frequency and voltage programming. Memory speeds will be capped at Intel guidelines. "