Discussion Which COVID-19 vaccine did you get?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

COVID Vaccine

• Moderna

Votes: 44 36.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 55 45.5%
  • Johnson & Johnson

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • AstraZeneca

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Not eligible yet

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • QAnon/Bill Gates' nanobots conspiracy option

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Man that first Moderna shot was painful as all hell for a while starting an hour or two after I got it yesterday. Not sure if I’m just soft or what but I couldn’t even lift my arm last night. It’s better now that I’m taking ibuprofen. No illness or fatigue luckily.

We had an HVAC guy here today ... big dude who was saying he used to play football and his first shot was similarly worse than any hit he’d taken lol.

Same here. My arm started getting sore a few hours after my shot yesterday, and it's still sore. Hurts pretty badly when I move it above shoulder-level, and there's a large red mark around the area. I read it's "Covid Arm" which some people get. Other than that, I feel fine.

Maybe I'll take some Advil tonight.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm thinking a LOT of the arm pain (or lack thereof) associated with the vaccines has to do with the shot-giver being careful.

Also from what I've been told it's better to take Tylenol for this.
Nope. This is irritation from the medicine. I'm an expert on shots because my wife is a provider.....I usually get my flu shot in the kitchen and I give her b12 shots all the time, among other things.

I'm not good at it, but the soreness associated with the vaccines is similar to a tetanus shot....but worse. My Moderna shots were both quick and painless....then I could feel tingling from the medicine in my arm...worse the first shot, not so bad the second... Both times, my arm actually was swollen around the injection site and almost felt bruised. My wife could visibly see the raised area around the injection after the first shot. The second dose was similar, but not as raised....just felt really sore the day after...not quite as sore today.

My symptoms have been headache, fatigue that have both mostly passed. I still have a little headache pain, but it's very mild. The most interesting thing now is that I've noticed today a bitter taste in my mouth. I mentioned that to my wife and she noted that metallic taste is a Covid symptom she's seen. I'm curious if the bitter taste is a side effect of the vaccine. Things don't taste different....but I just have this weird taste in my mouth, like if you licked something bitter and couldn't get the taste out of your mouth no matter what you eat or drink. Hopefully that goes away by tomorrow or I'll be tempted to make it go away by drinking too much alcohol.

Reactions: jman19 and Captante

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Sceduled for a J&J vaccine in 6 hours which took 3 weeks to get an appointment from the city. Indicates that 30,000 shots for Wed-Friday in Illinois.
Be careful because they had some QC issues recently.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I am on warfarin. Blood clots are happening to women and those under 55.

My blood is very thin, so I should be fine.
Yeah, but you must be aware of the low platelet count blood disorders which differs from the clot and causes hemorrhage in the brain, which is much worse than the clotting type. My father died from the hemorrhage type. :(

But that was not related to the vaccines FYI.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm assuming you're talking about the mix up with the J&J and AZ vaccines at the plant in Baltimore(i think)?
As far as i read, the doses they had problems with never left the building. All the doses shipped prior were ok. It was covered in the other thread.

Reactions: jman19

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Has been approx 6 hours after Moderna. Pain is like nothing.

I didn't get any significant arm-pain from shot #1, then like a dummy I got shot #2 in the same spot plus I lucked out with my "injector" who stuck that puppy in there like she was harpooning a whale!

After all that build-up sorry ... pain from Ms Whaler's vicious assault was 99% gone this morning.

Still very tired though and stomach a little "off" ... managed to woof down a diner (delivered) open-face turkey sammich with home-fries though!

:D

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, but you must be aware of the low platelet count blood disorders which differs from the clot and causes hemorrhage in the brain, which is much worse than the clotting type. My father died from the hemorrhage type. :(

But that was not related to the vaccines FYI.
my mother died from an aneurysm.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
That was from the 15M doses they scrapped. They never made it to the final fill stage.

Now there was this in North Carolina Thursday.
18 people felt adverse reactions for the 2300 doses given that day.

"Wake County administered more than 2,300 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine Thursday, according to a press release. Of those who received the shot, the county said, 14 were treated for “minor reactions” on site.
Four were taken to area hospitals, and by late Thursday evening, one person was still hospitalized.
Wake County said Thursday that the reactions were “consistent with known common side effects from receiving the vaccine.”

"The reactions at PNC Arena mostly included dizziness, fainting and nausea, according to the release from DHHS, which investigated the incident along with the CDC. There was one allergic reaction, which medical officials see as much more severe than the other reactions.
“We know it can be alarming to hear about or see reactions to vaccination — this is why we closely monitor those we vaccinate in case of reaction,” Kim McDonald, Wake County Public Health’s medical director, said in a statement.

"

Reactions: Captante

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Read about that. This is a US batch manufactured by Johnson& Johnson, not subcontracted, as informed by the personnel I asked. 15 hours after being injected with the vaccine i feel no pain or itching in my right arm. No symptoms or allergic reaction so far.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just came back from the Tinley Park Convention Center for my J&J shot. Long lines started to form outside when I arrived, luckily I was the 3rd in line. It was raining lightly. About >100 people in line by the time they opened the doors. Military all over the place. Show your appointment and I.D./Drivers License to enter. Military personnel to get your info, etc. and inform you that you're allowing them to give you the vaccine willingly and signature on a MS surface tablet. About 150 chairs to wait for your turn and about >50 people (non-military/nurses) with a table and syringes to give the shot. Barely felt the needle inserted 1" on my right arm. Told to go to another area with about >100 chairs and wait 15 minutes for any adverse reaction or symptoms before exiting. Saw a ambulance waiting near a door just in case. So it took from 9:40am-10:27am. Long lines after I left, still drizzling.

Another area in the building had Moderna shots, 1st and 2nd. Police all over the parking lot and front of the building too.

Partial selfie of me (guy in the black hoodie) 3rd in line for the J&J shot.

View attachment 42851

kinda creepy. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have a question. Why did the CDC never thought of issuing a FLU shot at the same seating as the COVID-19 shot.

It's not flu season right now? and....the flu vaccine was available during the season, last fall and winter, as it always is. Did you not get yours or something? But what does the CDC have to do with this decision that you claim they made, specifically?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have a question. Why did the CDC never thought of issuing a FLU shot at the same seating as the COVID-19 shot.
we had virtually no flu season this year in Canada. Due to all the lock-downs, masks and social distancing not to mention sanitizing hands and other items, it has stopped the transmission of colds and the flu.

I am sure other jurisdictions noticed the same thing.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
we had virtually no flu season this year in Canada. Due to all the lock-downs, masks and social distancing not to mention sanitizing hands and other items, it has stopped the transmission of colds and the flu.

I am sure other jurisdictions noticed the same thing.

Why is it I get the distinct impression that a mask is every bit as effective against catching the flu at random in public as a vaccine alone? (of course both is better)

Essentially compared to normal we didn't HAVE a flu-season in the US.

Dec 10, 2005
This is approx a month old but I still thought it was interesting.

Moderna vs Pfizer side-effects compared

Apparently Moderna had slightly lower incidence of mild side-effects then Pfizer but slightly higher for the more serious ones.
Without a head to head, blinded comparison, or perhaps some match cohort analysis of real world data, I'd take any conclusions drawn from such ad hoc head to head comparisons with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Without a head to head, blinded comparison, or perhaps some match cohort analysis of real world data, I'd take any conclusions drawn from such ad hoc head to head comparisons with a huge grain of salt.

No question about it... and even if it were 100% accurate the differences are very small/close to margin-of-error.

Not so sure about the reactions to J&J being reported though. I sincerely hope it's nothing that will give the anti-vax kooks any ammo.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Why is it I get the distinct impression that a mask is every bit as effective against catching the flu at random in public as a vaccine alone? (of course both is better)

Essentially compared to normal we didn't HAVE a flu-season in the US.
Flu vaccines are guesses. They guess what strains will be making the rounds next year and make a vaccine for those. So flu vaccines are very hit and miss. They either completely prevent the disease if guessed right or only make the disease more mild if guessed wrong.

Masks are much more predictable in between those two extremes. They both prevent some disease and make it somewhat more mild.

So your bolded statement depends on the year. Yes both are the best though.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Wife got J&J today. Doing fine. Mild fever, chills, nothing too extravagant. Went to bed early. She'll be good to go in no time. My appointment is Wednesday. I don't know what I'm getting yet. Don't really care, but the thought of only one appointment sounds good.