Which country has the worst food... and best.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: zinfamous
The Hamburger is distinctly American (although the name seems to originate from a German city) The Idea of forming ground beef into a patty and eating on bread is one of the few unique American foods.

The Frankfurter only changed to "Hot Dog" in WW1, when anti-German sentiment was high. Unlike the BS "Freedom Fries" attempt, that name stuck. (French Fries are Dutch anyway, so the French were kinda happy when we tried to change the name, even though the reasoning of rit was absurd) The frankfurter was always German, and our version is vastly inferior to the real one.

Worst food: British (although it's gotten better...but based on other ethnic influences)

Best: Italian
French
South American (lots of different countries, but all seem equally good for their particular reasons: Brazilian, Peruvian, Argentinian, Chilean, etc)

Que? Hamburger is derivative from Hamburg Steak...

http://whatscookingamerica.net...y/HamburgerHistory.htm

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
best, not in any order: chinese/japanese/italian/french

worst: dunno, haven't had english/irish yet...so i can't comment.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
From my experience:

Worst, in order:

Scottish <--- Mike Meyers said the entire concept of Scottish cuisine is based on a dare!
English
Irish
Danish
Swedish
German

I like a wide variety of cuisines. It would be hard for me to rank them, so I'll just rattle some off (In no particular order:)

Indian
French
Mexican & Tex-Mex
Thai
Italian
Morrocan
Vietnamese
Ethiopian
The whole Levant, i.e., Greek/Middle Eastern food such as couscous, tabouli. houmous, etc.

Nice list, although I like German sausages and hate couscous.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
If you say English is worst, please go back and edit your post to indicate if you have actually been there.

I can find all the good food I want here. It's not as if you can't get bad food in the US. I have plenty of bad food served up to me there.

For me:

Best: Indian, Turkish, Japanese (Okonomiyaki in particular!).
Worst: Bulgarian.

I've lived there. And I'm sure we're all talking about traditional English cuisine. Until the pakis came in force, the island was a gustatorial wasteland.

Edit: Peas that have been on boil since the Norman invasion, that sort of thing.

FYI, the term 'beloved patriot' is tantamount to the N-word. I would suggest you use caution with it as you would with the latter.

When did you live here? Did you eat out at cheap restaurants? Whatever your experience the fact that England has some of the most diverse and exciting restaurants in the world is a reality. Modern British cuisine goes far beyond your impression of a deprived 1970's provincial town or something you heard from a washed up comedian.

But yeah, I'm off to eat Tripe and replace my Lucas electrics on my car.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
From my experience:

Worst, in order:

Scottish <--- Mike Meyers said the entire concept of Scottish cuisine is based on a dare!
English
Irish
Danish
Swedish
German

Agreed except for German. The food is just really average but I wouldn't consider it terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't really hold a candle to real food though.

All of those other countries have dishes that I fear to eat.

I like a wide variety of cuisines. It would be hard for me to rank them, so I'll just rattle some off (In no particular order:)

Indian
French
Mexican & Tex-Mex
Thai
Italian
Morrocan
Vietnamese
Ethiopian
The whole Levant, i.e., Greek/Middle Eastern food such as couscous, tabouli. houmous, etc.

Tex-Mex is crap but otherwise you have pretty good taste.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
FYI, the term 'beloved patriot' is tantamount to the N-word. I would suggest you use caution with it as you would with the latter.

When did you live here? Did you eat out at cheap restaurants? Whatever your experience the fact that England has some of the most diverse and exciting restaurants in the world is a reality. Modern British cuisine goes far beyond your impression of a deprived 1970's provincial town or something you heard from a washed up comedian.

But yeah, I'm off to eat Tripe and replace my Lucas electrics on my car.

Lived there in the mid '70's. Real ale movement but uninspired food, in general. I'm sure, just like America, that Britain has an ever increasing and diverse cuisine derived from the rest of the world, but the trad stuff, still served by the parents of my working class friends when I was there, was lame bordering on brutal.

Lol, Lucas, aka The Prince of Darkness! :p

It was funny back then how many upper middle to upper class Brits considered Jaguars crap given their then chi-chi image in the States.

And, yeah, I'm aware that the term 'beloved patriot' is derogatory, but it didn't seem to have the same force as 'great person' does here, back then there (to me) -- more like you're not supposed to say Jap or beloved patriot here in more refined company.

Not truly trying to offend anyone. :eek:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sonambulo
Agreed except for German. The food is just really average but I wouldn't consider it terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't really hold a candle to real food though.

All of those other countries have dishes that I fear to eat.

True dat.

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
I haven't eaten enough foreign food to make any claims. I think I've found found really good food every culture I've had. Food :heart: