Which country has the worst food... and best.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: spittledip

Not if you make it yourself. It is much cheaper to buy healthy food to prepare for yourself to bring to work rather than buying food from restaurants. It tastes much better too.

Not true. You can make home made food that is moderately healthier, but still contains too much salt and fat to be considered healthy for less money. Whole foods and the real lean meats cost way too much to make a meal for under $5.00. I buy these kinds of foods and know what I am talking about. The processed foods are cheaper due to scale of economics and this is what most Americans buy and eat on a regular basis.

Even those so called healthy frozen meals have too many preservatives, salt and fat to be considered a healthy choice. The portions are too small to even fill a child. That is how they sell them for less than $5 and claim they are healthy.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: spittledip
O damn! I forgot about Southern food! American Southern food has got to be the worst most flavorless greasy crap I have ever eaten. Soul food also. I dont understand how people eat food that has no flavor or texture... And so much meat! Meat is the least important food group in terms of nutrition, but in America people treat it like the most important. bassackwards.

You need to spend a little more time in the south. Vegetables are a huge part of southern cooking.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
I do like Italian food especially Northern Italian due to the French and German influence but, next to the U.S., Italians make the worst beer I've ever had.

you call yourself Brewer and you think we make beer on par with the Italians? You really need to culture yourself to good American beer...

I'm talking about the main stream beers that account for the majority of sales, not micro brews. There may be some micro brews worth drinking in Italy, I've never found them though.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

No, I wasn't being nitpicky. I was trying to actually provide real facts and not make a poor generalization especially since the majority of foods he listed didn't even originate from North America. And actually Asia has a larger influence on cuisine then all of the Americas combined.

No you didn't. You never mentioned anything about Asia. The poster was technically right in his argument about the influence of food from the Americas. He just made an honest mistake and added North to it. However, his argument was a valid one.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
After watching Anthony Bourdain, I gotta say Iceland has the worst. He might be on to something when he says Singapore has the best food, too. Singapore's a spicy mix of Indian, Chinese, and southeast Asian food, which are my favorites!

If you think that stuff's bad, check out andrew zimmerns show Bizarre Foods. Then choose the worst foods

Bizarre Foods

Switzerland = had some gulash in a restaurant located on the jungfrau in interlaken that was heavenly
France - Had their version of surf and turf (gigantic lobtser and 12oz filet mignon) in villafranche was superb
Italy - not much to say there. everything was great.
netherlands? nothing to say about that place. there was no authentic dish there i could find. there were mainly fast foodies and museums
england - i wouldnt say the food is crap. i liked sheperds pie and fish n chips.

america has to have the worst food in my opinion. aside from bbq and burgers nothing really gets me going here.
phillippines - chicken adobo and pork sinigang, lumpia and pancit bihon, lechon and lots of other great foods. 'nuff said.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007

No, I mean only 10% of Americans are willing to try something other than what they grew up with.

You have provided no proof that this is true whatsoever. You are just generalizing based on what you believe to be true. The fact is a lot more Americans are willing to try new things than you believe. The popularity of restaurants that serve cuisine from other countries in the US is staggering.

You want to see a country less willing to try new things, go just south of the border.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: zinfamous
I do like Italian food especially Northern Italian due to the French and German influence but, next to the U.S., Italians make the worst beer I've ever had.

you call yourself Brewer and you think we make beer on par with the Italians? You really need to culture yourself to good American beer...

I'm talking about the main stream beers that account for the majority of sales, not micro brews. There may be some micro brews worth drinking in Italy, I've never found them though.

yeah, I certainly haven't found a decent Italian beer. But why bother? Wine is their cash cow.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
the best CULTURE of food is easily the italians and french... talking about importance in seasonality, locality, freshness of produce, simplicity of ingredients (italian, not french), etc...

as far as best TASTING food...creativity... resourcefulness.. etc.. then aside from italian and french add indian, cantonese, sichuan, etc...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: soonerproud

No, I mean only 10% of Americans are willing to try something other than what they grew up with.

You have provided no proof that this is true whatsoever. You are just generalizing based on what you believe to be true. The fact is a lot more Americans are willing to try new things than you believe. The popularity of restaurants that serve cuisine from other countries in the US is staggering.

You want to see a country less willing to try new things, go just south of the border.

I do know whereof I speak, I am a trained Chef with 25 years experience in all types of restaurants. Do not confuse the number of ethnic restaurants with success. The mortality rate for all restaurants in the first five years is 96% according to the American Restaurant Association.

Also, going to restaurants is a social thing. How many people do you know who go to ethnic restaurants and order a hamburger or ask for catsup? The mere fact that there are indeed many types of ethnic restaurants in the U.S. in no way reflects on their success.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
From my experience:

Worst, in order:

Scottish <--- Mike Meyers said the entire concept of Scottish cuisine is based on a dare!
English
Irish
Danish
Swedish
German

I like a wide variety of cuisines. It would be hard for me to rank them, so I'll just rattle some off (In no particular order:)

Indian
French
Mexican & Tex-Mex
Thai
Italian
Morrocan
Vietnamese
Ethiopian
The whole Levant, i.e., Greek/Middle Eastern food such as couscous, tabouli. houmous, etc.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
From my experience:

Worst, in order:

Scottish <--- Mike Meyers said the entire concept of Scottish cuisine is based on a dare!
English
Irish
Danish
Swedish
German

I like a wide variety of cuisines. It would be hard for me to rank them, so I'll just rattle some off (In no particular order:)

Indian
French
Mexican & Tex-Mex
Thai
Italian
Morrocan
Vietnamese
Ethiopian
The whole Levant, i.e., Greek/Middle Eastern food such as couscous, tabouli. houmous, etc.

We can be friends if you remove tex-mex from your list :)

French food is delicious but way too heavy for my tastes

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007

I do know whereof I speak, I am a trained Chef with 25 years experience in all types of restaurants. Do not confuse the number of ethnic restaurants with success. The mortality rate for all restaurants in the first five years is 96% according to the American Restaurant Association.

Also, going to restaurants is a social thing. How many people do you know who go to ethnic restaurants and order a hamburger or ask for catsup? The mere fact that there are indeed many types of ethnic restaurants in the U.S. in no way reflects on their success.

i think just the fact that the local Cracker Barrel has the busiest parking lot in most cities is proof enough

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: LS21

i think just the fact that the local Cracker Barrel has the busiest parking lot in most cities is proof enough

It just proves that people like the food at Cracker Barrel. (I have never eaten at one myself.)

I know quite a number of people who are willing to try new things so this is why I am not buying the 90% argument. Being willing to try something new and actually liking something are two different things.

All cultures prefer what is familiar, and the US is no different in this regard. That does not mean they are not willing to try new things. The fact that the US has food influenced by cuisine from around the world is proof that many people here like to try new things, at least on occasion.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Ns1

I sooooooooo agree. I lived in Arizona for nine years and was spoiled by authentic Sonoran Mexican food. The Tex-Mex crap that is served here in Oklahoma is just disgusting after eating authentic Mexican cooking.

(Beef and potato tamales are one of my favorite foods. The Sonrans know how to make tamales.)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: sdifox
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

And what about Chinese and Italian restaurants thru-out the world?

90% of Americans won't eat there either. Of course, 90% of American's won't leave the U.S. but, that's another argument. :D

you mean all the Chinese and all the Italian restaurants in the US services only 10% of the population? That has to be some serious eating from that 10%...

okay, with that idea... try going to other countries and getting them to eat food other than what they grew up with. Why the prevalence for East Asian restaurants across America? Hmm.. because East Asians run them, and a majority of their patrons tend to be East Asians.
Fact is, most people eat what is common for their ethnic background.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
If you say English is worst, please go back and edit your post to indicate if you have actually been there.

I can find all the good food I want here. It's not as if you can't get bad food in the US. I have plenty of bad food served up to me there.

For me:

Best: Indian, Turkish, Japanese (Okonomiyaki in particular!).
Worst: Bulgarian.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

Major Cities I've been to w/ a poor selection of food in terms of overall selection/variety/taste/value (no particular order):
New York

How can you have problems finding good food in New York? They have literally thousands of restaurants with almost every cuisine covered.

Oh I had absolutely NO PROBLEMS finding variety and food, but the quality is not up to par, and value for that quality really sucks. Restaurants in LA, SF, and Chicago are superior in both departments.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
If you say English is worst, please go back and edit your post to indicate if you have actually been there.

I can find all the good food I want here. It's not as if you can't get bad food in the US. I have plenty of bad food served up to me there.

For me:

Best: Indian, Turkish, Japanese (Okonomiyaki in particular!).
Worst: Bulgarian.

I've lived there. And I'm sure we're all talking about traditional English cuisine. Until the pakis came in force, the island was a gustatorial wasteland.

Edit: Peas that have been on boil since the Norman invasion, that sort of thing.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ns1

I sooooooooo agree. I lived in Arizona for nine years and was spoiled by authentic Sonoran Mexican food. The Tex-Mex crap that is served here in Oklahoma is just disgusting after eating authentic Mexican cooking.

(Beef and potato tamales are one of my favorite foods. The Sonrans know how to make tamales.)

French country cooking is less about ultra rich, ultra reduced sauces, plus the French trick is SMALL portions of rich foods.

And, yeah, busted. Tex-Mex is, I guess, my personal guilty pleasure, sort of like my comfort food even though it wasn't served in my home growing up.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis
man why do all of you guys hate german food?

I love brats and beer with some sauerkraut myself. German potato salad is the bomb too.

OK, got anything else? :p

Good bread and chocolate come to mind, but, really. It's not an inspired cuisine.

And I don't HATE German food, it just deservedly ranks low in national comparisons.

However the OP is quite right in including beer as an example. The German's classify beer as food by law, as well as national myth. For tax purposes, it is classified as lebensmittel, or, literally, "life stuff" (food), as opposed to all other alcohol.

It was first brewed by germanic monks in the middle ages supposedly as food -- when grain stocks were low as a way to stretch them and make them go further. At least, that's what they tell themselves.

But, then, this is the same country which has sported billboards touting milk chocolate as a health food, because it contains milk!

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Sauerkraut, Sauerbraten, Wienerschnitzel, Rouladen, Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Hasenpfeffer, Lebkuchen, Springerle, Pfeffernusse, Stollen, Strudel to name a few. What's not to like?

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Sauerkraut, Sauerbraten, Wienerschnitzel, Rouladen, Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Hasenpfeffer, Lebkuchen, Springerle, Pfeffernusse, Stollen, Strudel to name a few. What's not to like?

Pig guts, pasta and pastry ftw! :laugh::thumbsup:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Perknose

Pig guts, pasta and pastry ftw! :laugh::thumbsup:

Works for me! :)