Which country has the worst food... and best.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Not so good:

UK
Germany
Holland
Denmark
Norway
(Russian food sounds crappy, but never been there myself)

Good:

France
Italy
Crotia
Indian

Fern

Allanv

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Midnight Rambler
My vote for worst goes to England. Fish & chips, bangers & mash, pudding.... what else is there?

For starters you forgot jellied eel ... yuk !

Although I must say, a good shepherd's pie is fine by me.

I've actually never eaten an Italian dish that has given me an ZOMG orgasmic experience. Maybe I just haven't eaten the right dish

Here's a recommendation then ... spinach-stuffed ravioli. Mmmmmm !

jellied eels are only served in London no where else and I have lived here a long time. We do not eat fish and chips for a past time those are take aways nothing else. Bangers and mash are just sausages and potatoes whats wrong with that.

We use a lot of herbs in our food not spices unless eating a curry. You really want to research more before posting.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
England, and Italian (yes italian. It's waaaay too oily and heavy and SAUCY for my tastes... I dislike food with too much sauce. Alfredo? Fettuccine? BARF) for the worse.

(no particular order)BEST:
American, Japanese, Korean, French, Mexican, authentic Chinese

Major Cities I've been to that had superb food selection/variety/taste/value (no particular order):

LOS ANGELES (no. 1 in my book)
Chicago
Las Vegas
Taipei
Yokohama
Seoul
San Fransisco

Major Cities I've been to w/ a poor selection of food in terms of overall selection/variety/taste/value (no particular order):
New York
San Diego (I live here too...sigh..)
Miami
Baltimore
Honolulu
Manila
Phoenix
Washington DC (zzzzz...)
Kingston
Kaohsiung
Tijuana

Major cities I really wish to visit for food:
Shanghai
Phuket
Cabo (i'm a huge sucker for Mexican food...droool)
Paris
Amsterdam
New Orleans

Other than that.. I can eat just about anything and love to experiment with exotic foods.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Ranked Favorites:
Chinese
Italian
Japanese
American
Indian
German

Least favorite:
Mexican

IamBusby

Dec 12, 2001
I think some ground rules should be applied to this. A lot of people are voting American food based on the fact you get a lot of different varieties of foods available. Italian, French, chinese etc.

I don't think you can vote American food is best based on that. I live in London and as mentioned previously London has a HUGE range of restaurants. Just within a mile of where I live I can go and eat Greek, Italian, Ethiopean, French, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Spanish. I'll stop there but I could go on.

However I wouldn't vote England has the best food just based on that as I think it's got to have at least partly originated from that country for you to class it as an English or American dish. Afterall when you go to a restaurant and your trying to choose what to have you don't say shall we go to an Italian restaurant or an American.

Based on that my favourite and worst would be:-

Best: Chinese

Worst : Polish

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
I do like Italian food especially Northern Italian due to the French and German influence but, next to the U.S., Italians make the worst beer I've ever had.

Eh ive had their beer. I think it was too bad. I forget what it was though.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

Major Cities I've been to w/ a poor selection of food in terms of overall selection/variety/taste/value (no particular order):
New York

How can you have problems finding good food in New York? They have literally thousands of restaurants with almost every cuisine covered.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
imho

Best - India

Worst - England

Oddly enough, England has some really good Indian food. Go figure.

Yeah but where did it originate from? I can also say there's really good Indian food in the US.

rikadik

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life
I do like Italian food especially Northern Italian due to the French and German influence but, next to the U.S., Italians make the worst beer I've ever had.

Eh ive had their beer. I think it was too bad. I forget what it was though.

Nastro Azzurro is an alright pilsner. Nothing to write home about but it's easily as good as most of the mainstream premium lagers from Europe.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: djheater
Thanks for the defense! I screwed up and should have said "the Americas"

None of those foods are "American" foods. Really they're just ingredients, what I wanted to get at is how weird it is to think of European cuisine without those foods... Italy without tomatoes?
A world without chocolate?
Spanish food without chiles?

It's a strange thing. What did people eat?

No problem. He was just being nitpicky and was trying to use a simple error to discredit an otherwise valid argument.

From what I understand the average European diet consisted of cereals and grains and some meat before the discovery of the Americas.

No, I wasn't being nitpicky. I was trying to actually provide real facts and not make a poor generalization especially since the majority of foods he listed didn't even originate from North America. And actually Asia has a larger influence on cuisine then all of the Americas combined.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I love too many foods to pick a favorite country.
Some favorites would be Thailand, India, Vietnam Korea, Jamaica, China, Ethiopia, Brazil, Italy, USA, France.
I guess any country that serves Bacon should be added to the list too, because bacon is one of my very very favorites.

The worst food is broccoli. So any country that serves any dishes with broccoli would be a country with the worst food.
I HATE BROCCOLI!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

And what about Chinese and Italian restaurants thru-out the world?

90% of Americans won't eat there either. Of course, 90% of American's won't leave the U.S. but, that's another argument. :D

you mean all the Chinese and all the Italian restaurants in the US services only 10% of the population? That has to be some serious eating from that 10%...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
most eastern European foods are rather bland. I have no real issue with this as this is my own family roots. But I like a little of everything from around the world.

I think this depends mostly on your own culture. People generally prefer what they are raised on. I prefer the meals I can easily make like stews, roasts, burgers, fish, etc...

Probably because spices are import from the orient back in the days and spices are expensive...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
A side question: Is there is a food that is distinctively American?

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Hamburgers? That kinda sounds German also.

Pizza? Well duh.

I guess it's just barbecue chicken then.

North American fruits and vegetables changed the palate of the world. before trade to the new world was established, no one had ever seen: tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and squashes of all sorts, potatoes, avocadoes, pepper, corn, cocoa, chiles. Not to mention turkey

Huh?

Tomatoes originated from South America then to Europe then to North America.

Avocadoes originated from Central America.

Cocoa and Potato originated from South America.

etc.

The key word here is that all these things come from a continent that ends with America. The US is not the only country in the Americas.

Then why did he mention North America? Do you consider Brazilian and Peruvian food american?

Because he wasn't thinking when he wrote that post. I'm certain he meant all of America, not just North America.

Brazil and Peru are just as much American as the United States, so yes I do.

None of those foods are "American" foods. Really they're just ingredients, what I wanted to get at is how weird it is to think of European cuisine without those foods... Italy without tomatoes?

believe it or not, the lots of tomatoe thing is North American... Italians don't use all that much tomatoe :)

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: sdifox

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Pizza? Well duh.

North American fruits and vegetables changed the palate of the world. before trade to the new world was established, no one had ever seen: tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and squashes of all sorts, potatoes, avocadoes, pepper, corn, cocoa, chiles. Not to mention turkey

Huh?

Tomatoes originated from South America then to Europe then to North America.

Avocadoes originated from Central America.

Cocoa and Potato originated from South America.

etc.

The key word here is that all these things come from a continent that ends with America. The US is not the only country in the Americas.

Then why did he mention North America? Do you consider Brazilian and Peruvian food american?

Because he wasn't thinking when he wrote that post. I'm certain he meant all of America, not just North America.

Brazil and Peru are just as much American as the United States, so yes I do.

believe it or not, the lots of tomatoe thing is North American... Italians don't use all that much tomatoe :)

This is true. THe tomato only became prevalent ingredient in the last 100 years.

michaelsslave

Sep 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
All food from the U.K and Ireland is the worst food in the world. I would say all of Africa but technically no food doesn't really count as the worst food. As far as the best... Italian or Indian, it's hard to decide.

you sir dont know anything about Africa

go out to a good ethiopean restaurants and i promise you wont be disappointed

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: sdifox
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

And what about Chinese and Italian restaurants thru-out the world?

90% of Americans won't eat there either. Of course, 90% of American's won't leave the U.S. but, that's another argument. :D

you mean all the Chinese and all the Italian restaurants in the US services only 10% of the population? That has to be some serious eating from that 10%...

No, I mean only 10% of Americans are willing to try something other than what they grew up with.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
worst:
Indian(absolute garbage)
Chinese
Korean
Thai
Japanese

Best:
Italian
Brazilian
Cuban
french
greek

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Pizza? Well duh.

The Hamburger is distinctly American (although the name seems to originate from a German city) The Idea of forming ground beef into a patty and eating on bread is one of the few unique American foods.

The Frankfurter only changed to "Hot Dog" in WW1, when anti-German sentiment was high. Unlike the BS "Freedom Fries" attempt, that name stuck. (French Fries are Dutch anyway, so the French were kinda happy when we tried to change the name, even though the reasoning of rit was absurd) The frankfurter was always German, and our version is vastly inferior to the real one.

Worst food: British (although it's gotten better...but based on other ethnic influences)

Best: Italian
French
South American (lots of different countries, but all seem equally good for their particular reasons: Brazilian, Peruvian, Argentinian, Chilean, etc)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

you call yourself Brewer and you think we make beer on par with the Italians? You really need to culture yourself to good American beer...