Which country has the worst food... and best.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
24,135
1,594
126
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.
 

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
34,547
651
126
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.
 

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
37,558
7
81
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
Originally posted by: meltdown75
The question in the OP makes my head explode, and I kind of agree with MagnusTheBrewer on this one. Every large modern city has great restaurants, and most modernized countries have large cities.

Also, you could get really technical and say that only a very seasoned world traveler could quantify his/her experiences on a broad enough scale to provide you with the succinct response you seem to be seeking.

Right, but we seem to be coming to a consensus.
Well, fire up the grill because this thread is making me hungry ;)
 

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
24,135
1,594
126
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.
 

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
9,673
580
126
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
A side question: Is there is a food that is distinctively American?

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Hamburgers? That kinda sounds German also.

Pizza? Well duh.

I guess it's just barbecue chicken then.

German Chocolate Cake.

(Really, the recipe was made in Texas and used chocolate created by an Englishman).
 

flunky nassau

Senior member
Feb 17, 2007
307
0
71
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

It's quite sad that when people think American food, they think McDonalds.

 

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
24,869
9,129
136
After watching Anthony Bourdain, I gotta say Iceland has the worst. He might be on to something when he says Singapore has the best food, too. Singapore's a spicy mix of Indian, Chinese, and southeast Asian food, which are my favorites!
 

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
24,135
1,594
126
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

It's quite sad that when people think American food, they think McDonalds.

You missed the point, McDonalds illustrates the number of gastronomic cowards there are. On second or third thought, maybe you were agreeing with me?
 

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
34,547
651
126
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
A side question: Is there is a food that is distinctively American?

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Hamburgers? That kinda sounds German also.

Pizza? Well duh.

I guess it's just barbecue chicken then.

North American fruits and vegetables changed the palate of the world. before trade to the new world was established, no one had ever seen: tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and squashes of all sorts, potatoes, avocadoes, pepper, corn, cocoa, chiles. Not to mention turkey

Huh?

Tomatoes originated from South America then to Europe then to North America.

Avocadoes originated from Central America.

Cocoa and Potato originated from South America.

etc.


 

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
34,547
651
126
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

And what about Chinese and Italian restaurants thru-out the world?
 

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
24,135
1,594
126
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

And what about Chinese and Italian restaurants thru-out the world?

90% of Americans won't eat there either. Of course, 90% of American's won't leave the U.S. but, that's another argument. :D
 

prism

Senior member
Oct 23, 2004
995
0
0
I've never been out of the U.S., but the best foreign food I've had here is Thai and Indian, and the Indian food I had was all vegetarian and some of it vegan! I don't know how they do it!

And what the heck is wrong with the UK's food? Are you wee little laddies too afraid to have something that sticks to your ribs??

And never count the U.S. out for good food, because a properly-grilled/seasoned steak is something worth crying over.
 

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
28,799
359
126
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

Well, I could quote 25 years of experience but, instead, I'll just point to the proliferation of Micky D's (and the like) around the world.

I've tried other food. I simply don't like it. Sorry for have taste preferences. :roll:
and no, I don't put McD's at the top of my favorite food. I much prefer home cooking thanks. But as Capt Caveman pointed out above this post, the proliferation of Chinese and Italian restaurants kind of counters McD's.

I also don't find the problem with eating the food of your country. Sure, America is a melting pot of cultures, but I very much believe that naturally an American culture emerged. I'm proud to be a part of that American culture, otherwise I'd have to call half of Europe home.
My family stretches as far back to Ben Franklin and his dad's family, to something as recent as Polish immigration (I'm 1/8th Polish). I also have a fair amount of German and French ancestry that's not too distant. So part of my history helped establish this country. I think it's fair that I like mostly American food. Considering a lot of Italy eats Italian food, and a lot of immigrants here continue to eat mostly the food of their country at home or go to restaurants that serve that ethnicity's food style.

and as far as the concept of a sheltered life, well... sure, I haven't been outside of the U.S. unless you count a cruise to the Southern Caribbean and that area. Sorry. Want to pay my way to Greece or Japan or something? Even though I would starve in Japan because I despise Asian food. I can handle most other ethnic food, besides anything that can be considered Asian, being in Japanese/Chinese or Indian, Arabic, or anything else. Russian food, I have no clue. Polish.. I think I've had some through family dinners but not sure what dishes they were. Same with German dishes. So, it's a little broader than I originally stated, but the point remains most is Americanized and my family has very much kept to an American culture style of eating, in that everything has a very American touch and little has ever been served in my family that can be considered authentically ethnic. Most authentic ethnic food we make is Golumpkis (Golabki), a Polish dish with a certain style of meatball wrapped in cabbage. We make quite a few without the cabbage for some of us in the family that don't eat cabbage, such as me, my sister, and my cousins.
 

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
24,135
1,594
126
Originally posted by: destrekor

I've tried other food. I simply don't like it. Sorry for have taste preferences. :roll:
and no, I don't put McD's at the top of my favorite food. I much prefer home cooking thanks. But as Capt Caveman pointed out above this post, the proliferation of Chinese and Italian restaurants kind of counters McD's.

I also don't find the problem with eating the food of your country. Sure, America is a melting pot of cultures, but I very much believe that naturally an American culture emerged. I'm proud to be a part of that American culture, otherwise I'd have to call half of Europe home.
My family stretches as far back to Ben Franklin and his dad's family, to something as recent as Polish immigration (I'm 1/8th Polish). I also have a fair amount of German and French ancestry that's not too distant. So part of my history helped establish this country. I think it's fair that I like mostly American food. Considering a lot of Italy eats Italian food, and a lot of immigrants here continue to eat mostly the food of their country at home or go to restaurants that serve that ethnicity's food style.

There's a huge difference between trying and not liking (but willing to try something else) and unwilling to try anything they haven't seen before. It is my claim that 90% of American's fit into the 'unwilling' category.

I am in no way disparaging American foods (I have a soft spot for Diner foods) but, I am poking fun at those who are unwilling to try anything different because "they might not like it."
 

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
5,849
48
91
Best: Italy
Worst: England

And yes, I have spent time in both of those countries.
 

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
28,799
359
126
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor

I've tried other food. I simply don't like it. Sorry for have taste preferences. :roll:
and no, I don't put McD's at the top of my favorite food. I much prefer home cooking thanks. But as Capt Caveman pointed out above this post, the proliferation of Chinese and Italian restaurants kind of counters McD's.

I also don't find the problem with eating the food of your country. Sure, America is a melting pot of cultures, but I very much believe that naturally an American culture emerged. I'm proud to be a part of that American culture, otherwise I'd have to call half of Europe home.
My family stretches as far back to Ben Franklin and his dad's family, to something as recent as Polish immigration (I'm 1/8th Polish). I also have a fair amount of German and French ancestry that's not too distant. So part of my history helped establish this country. I think it's fair that I like mostly American food. Considering a lot of Italy eats Italian food, and a lot of immigrants here continue to eat mostly the food of their country at home or go to restaurants that serve that ethnicity's food style.

There's a huge difference between trying and not liking (but willing to try something else) and unwilling to try anything they haven't seen before. It is my claim that 90% of American's fit into the 'unwilling' category.

I am in no way disparaging American foods (I have a soft spot for Diner foods) but, I am poking fun at those who are unwilling to try anything different because "they might not like it."

Oh, I'll try things that I know there is a chance of. But I also take a step back and there are some things (I have been correct on this) that I will refuse to try because I basically know for sure I won't like it. I won't deny that I may like some of these things in the future too, because as you age your sense of taste goes and your taste preferences will change. But at the moment, there are certain foods I know I won't like based on past similar experiences or knowing the main principal ingredients that provide the flavor.

Now, I won't deny trying something if I'm in a setting that basically makes that a rude behavior, say.. if I were to be in Japan and a guest somewhere, and they insisted on me trying something, I'd do it... fearfully though, because I wouldn't want to offend them with possible looks of absolute disgust. lol

if I might not like it... I may try it just to find out.
but there's a category of: no way in hell am I going to like that, so why bother? Those in this category, I have never been wrong.
I have been wrong in the 'I may/may not like it', and after tasting determined it was better than I thought it'd be, it's actually tasty, or downright disgusting. But these are ones I'm willing to try if its suggested I do so.

I'm partially a 'gastronomic coward', but partially just a realist, and also neither at times because I do try things. ;)
 

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
5,675
0
0
i like chinese food for taste and sheer variety. american food is pretty good too, though with less variety. And no, not the fast food part-- the lobster + steak + mashed potatoes, californian cuisine, etc.

Worst, well, you could say a lot of things. I don't particularly find that European food has much character. I guess European food has had a great influence on American food, but...... how many foods are distinctly German and good, compared to Mexican food, say? I know a lot of people like Italian food. I don't have any special fondness for Italian, but I have to say, Italian food is really unique and popular. Not so for other European foods, like Russian etc.

btw, this is only my 2 cents. i dont claim to know anything about fine dining and such.
 

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
1,874
0
0
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
A side question: Is there is a food that is distinctively American?

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Hamburgers? That kinda sounds German also.

Pizza? Well duh.

I guess it's just barbecue chicken then.

Indian Tacos are truly American.
 

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
1,874
0
0
Originally posted by: techs
America has the best food.
Because we have more kinds of food than any other country.
You name it, you can get it in the US.

Worst food?
Probably some isolated South Pacific island. Not a take-out menu in sight.

London is known to be more diverse food wise than LA, Chicago and New York. If you want it, you can find it in London too.
 

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
1,874
0
0
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor
USA USA USA!
best foods!

im actually serious. most authentic foreign food I don't like. I like the Americanized versions of most plates. :laugh:
im a very picky eater, very. I try to work on it, and the only time I can force myself is when its necessary or starve. I can usually get around it. :)

but yea, straight up American foods.. hamburgers, steaks, good ol' cookout food I love.
Italian foodstuffs I like too. Some Mexican, but very little. Other things, I just don't know their origin if they aren't American.

Congratulations! You've just joined 90% of American's who are gastronomic cowards. Thank God for the other 10%.

No, they just live sheltered lives.

No, a lot of exotic foods are too expensive. Ever tried to buy Panchetta in the Midwest? I can get it here for $28 a pound. If the more exotic foods were more affordable, Americans would be the first in line to try them.
 

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
1,874
0
0
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
A side question: Is there is a food that is distinctively American?

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Hamburgers? That kinda sounds German also.

Pizza? Well duh.

I guess it's just barbecue chicken then.

North American fruits and vegetables changed the palate of the world. before trade to the new world was established, no one had ever seen: tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and squashes of all sorts, potatoes, avocadoes, pepper, corn, cocoa, chiles. Not to mention turkey

Huh?

Tomatoes originated from South America then to Europe then to North America.

Avocadoes originated from Central America.

Cocoa and Potato originated from South America.

etc.

The key word here is that all these things come from a continent that ends with America. The US is not the only country in the Americas.
 

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
34,547
651
126
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: flunky nassau
A side question: Is there is a food that is distinctively American?

Take the hotdog. The sausage element of it makes me think it had to have originated in Germany.

Hamburgers? That kinda sounds German also.

Pizza? Well duh.

I guess it's just barbecue chicken then.

North American fruits and vegetables changed the palate of the world. before trade to the new world was established, no one had ever seen: tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and squashes of all sorts, potatoes, avocadoes, pepper, corn, cocoa, chiles. Not to mention turkey

Huh?

Tomatoes originated from South America then to Europe then to North America.

Avocadoes originated from Central America.

Cocoa and Potato originated from South America.

etc.

The key word here is that all these things come from a continent that ends with America. The US is not the only country in the Americas.

Then why did he mention North America? Do you consider Brazilian and Peruvian food american?
 

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
24,135
1,594
126
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: destrekor

I've tried other food. I simply don't like it. Sorry for have taste preferences. :roll:
and no, I don't put McD's at the top of my favorite food. I much prefer home cooking thanks. But as Capt Caveman pointed out above this post, the proliferation of Chinese and Italian restaurants kind of counters McD's.

I also don't find the problem with eating the food of your country. Sure, America is a melting pot of cultures, but I very much believe that naturally an American culture emerged. I'm proud to be a part of that American culture, otherwise I'd have to call half of Europe home.
My family stretches as far back to Ben Franklin and his dad's family, to something as recent as Polish immigration (I'm 1/8th Polish). I also have a fair amount of German and French ancestry that's not too distant. So part of my history helped establish this country. I think it's fair that I like mostly American food. Considering a lot of Italy eats Italian food, and a lot of immigrants here continue to eat mostly the food of their country at home or go to restaurants that serve that ethnicity's food style.

There's a huge difference between trying and not liking (but willing to try something else) and unwilling to try anything they haven't seen before. It is my claim that 90% of American's fit into the 'unwilling' category.

I am in no way disparaging American foods (I have a soft spot for Diner foods) but, I am poking fun at those who are unwilling to try anything different because "they might not like it."

Oh, I'll try things that I know there is a chance of. But I also take a step back and there are some things (I have been correct on this) that I will refuse to try because I basically know for sure I won't like it. I won't deny that I may like some of these things in the future too, because as you age your sense of taste goes and your taste preferences will change. But at the moment, there are certain foods I know I won't like based on past similar experiences or knowing the main principal ingredients that provide the flavor.

Now, I won't deny trying something if I'm in a setting that basically makes that a rude behavior, say.. if I were to be in Japan and a guest somewhere, and they insisted on me trying something, I'd do it... fearfully though, because I wouldn't want to offend them with possible looks of absolute disgust. lol

if I might not like it... I may try it just to find out.
but there's a category of: no way in hell am I going to like that, so why bother? Those in this category, I have never been wrong.
I have been wrong in the 'I may/may not like it', and after tasting determined it was better than I thought it'd be, it's actually tasty, or downright disgusting. But these are ones I'm willing to try if its suggested I do so.

I'm partially a 'gastronomic coward', but partially just a realist, and also neither at times because I do try things. ;)

Being in Japan makes making faces ruder than doing so in America?

I love trying new foods. Some of the oddest combinations I've had though were Armenian.

English foods have a taste palette that features spices over herbs.

Scandinavians will pickle anything.

In Soviet Russia, if you are eating, it is good food. :)