Which console system for sports games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
not so much the console, but what company produces the games.

Sega is closing the gap on EA

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I'd probably say X-Box. PS2 hardware wise isn't cuttin it for most new games (and won't for future games.) The sports games usually come out on all consoles but X-Box is the most powerful and the button layout is near standard. Personally, I have the Gamecube but man the funky button layout does not work for NCAA Football 2K3. Granted its not that horrible as its just getting used to it, but still. X-Box is my least favorite system, but thats all personally... I have no real bias in this matter I think, I would go X-Box for sports.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
lol....I have Madden 2003 for both Xbox and PS2, both systems hooked up through component outs, and you reek of bias. The Xbox version look slightly better. But then again, I play it on the PS2 since the controller is *so* much better for EA Sports games and it has online play. The Xbox advantage come in terms of loading times and the ability to save at any time during a game (awesome!).

Like most others say, most of the sports games are ported across all three platforms. I'd have to say PS2 in the end since I despise the Xbox controller for sports games.

I think you wreak of bullsh|t.

Why the fvck would you buy the same game for two systems?

If you're a small child, or just happen to be a midgit with small hands, then I guess the PS2 controller might be better suited for you. I like the X-Box controller better because the button layout is more comfortable, the analog control is much sharper, and it just feels much better in your hands.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Where on Earth did you get that? Are you sure you didn't mean Madden or 2k3?

I read it in the latest issue of wired, I think. I get like 15 magazines monthly so its hard to keep track but they did a comparison of all the games and nfl fever came out on top.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Thanks for all the help guys....looks like XBox is the winner when it comes to sports games. Now all I have to do is hunt down the best deal I can and buy one.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Games have always been rated with respect to other games on that console, rather than conversions of that game on other systems.
Just for clarification, I ment that in the gamespot review, they may have mentioned that the xbox version looked better/worse then the ps2/gc versions. I know with SSX Tricky they mentioned which version looked the best, so I thought perhaps they'd say the same thing about other cross-platform games.

If you're looking for a deal on the xbox, I believe you can get the xbox+dvd remote for ~$190 shipped from buy.com. Check the HD forum for more info

DogFromDuckhunt

Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Shantanu

I think you wreak of bullsh|t.

Why the fvck would you buy the same game for two systems?

If you're a small child, or just happen to be a midgit with small hands, then I guess the PS2 controller might be better suited for you. I like the X-Box controller better because the button layout is more comfortable, the analog control is much sharper, and it just feels much better in your hands.
And I think you wreak of fanboyism. I own Madden on GCN (because my bro got NCAA for GCN for his b-day, and we wanted the ability to transfer players) and on PS2 (wanted the online play) and they're both virtually the same -- minor graphical improvements on the GCN and faster loading times than PS2 but that's it. As for Xbox, it has about the same load time as GCN, but it doesn't require memory cards and has the ability to save at any point during the game. The PS2 and Xbox versions are both online ... as well as for NFL2k3. NFL Fever is just pure crap ... read a few online reviews and you'll be extremely hard pressed to find someone that prefers NFL Fever over NFL2k3 and Madden 2003.

as far as football goes, Microsoft's NFL Fever 2002 was rated #1 above all other football games, so I'd have to say xbox if you are buying for football.
Madden: IGN-8.8(xbox), 8.8(gcn), 9.1(ps2) -- Gamespot-8.6(xbox), 8.6(gcn), 9.0(ps2)
NFL2k3: IGN-9.1(xbox), 9.0(gcn), 9.2(ps2) -- Gamespot-9.1(xbox), 9.1(gcn), 9.6(ps2)
NFL Fever: IGN-7.7 -- Gamespot-7.2

ps2 - Online right now (assuming you can find a NA), no 4player support out of the box, no memory card.
xbox - 4player out of the box, no memory cards, faster loading time than PS2, Online in Nov. (supposedly).
gcn - 4 player out of the box, $50 cheaper, will need a memory card or two, faster loading time than ps2, wireless controller totally owns in every possible way, not gonna be online at all.

Bottom line is this: You should go play a few games with each controller and chose which is best for you. They're all virtually the same with the xbox and gcn having slightly improved graphics over the ps2 version. When chosing sports games you really just need to pick the controller that suits you best -- the games will all be virtually the same on each system.

<edit: Oh, and if you do go with the xbox version ... make sure you're "manly" enough to hold the controller
rolleye.gif
>