which client for Vista boxes?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i am setting up the lab with Vista for testing
i've been keeping it simple and doing OGR and RC5-72 with this lab through a proxy for the last year or so

how many DC clients say they work on Vista? or do i just try my distributed.net client and see what happens

thanks

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I ran the Folding@Home CLI as a service on Vista RC1/2 x64 editions when I was testing those builds. There were no problems, so I wouldn't expect any on RTM either.

Hurricane Andrew

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have both of my dual boot boxes (XP Pro/Vista RC2) running the Folding@Home CLI, and it works like a charm, even with the dual boot setup. Also, based on my admittedly non-expert cursory analysis of frame times for a handful of WU's, I've actually seen about a 6% performance boost when running under Vista as opposed to XP.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Hurricane Andrew
I have both of my dual boot boxes (XP Pro/Vista RC2) running the Folding@Home CLI, and it works like a charm, even with the dual boot setup. Also, based on my admittedly non-expert cursory analysis of frame times for a handful of WU's, I've actually seen about a 6% performance boost when running under Vista as opposed to XP.

Probably partly due to the fact that the scheduler has been improved in Vista. See Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 1.

Hurricane Andrew

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: InlineFive
Originally posted by: Hurricane Andrew

Probably partly due to the fact that the scheduler has been improved in Vista. See Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 1.

I saw that article last week. Very interesting (albeit intense) read.