which certification should i get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
I like how everyone mentions CCIE, yet it's notoriously difficult for even the best of Cisco gurus to get.

^^^ I think they recommend 7 years experience or something like that before taking it heh.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Damn, that sounds rather rough.

Don't know if you know but have they updated the CCNP yet? My old network admin who was a total guru with Cisco stuff passed the CCNP with flying colors, didn't even study, but took the new CCNA and had to take it twice to pass.

Yes. Lots of voice and IPv6.

I had to recert a while ago. I've had ccnp/ccdp for about 7 years now.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: notfred
Something with a lot of letters. Like maybe a MCCCNNA or something. The more letters, the better. If you could get a MCCCNASEDBA+, that would be really cool. Everyone would want to hire you.
You're such a funny little code monkey!

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: DaiShan
Originally posted by: spidey07
CCIE, unix or storage.

Even in the days of useless certifications the CCIE still carries a lot of weight.

Yeah, but that's because CCIE actually requires working knowledge of the material :)

It requires much, much, much more than that.

You are given things you would never do in a real network and then the way you would normally do them they say "but you can't use this feature or this command"

Yeah I've heard that, I haven't done anything with Cisco, but my lead network analyst is working on his ccie, and has been for the past 3 years heh. By working knowledge I meant that the vast majority of the certifications are multiple choice for which you can memorize answers and obtain the certification, that's not the case with the CCIE (from my understanding)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
you are stuffed into a room with gear and have to perform the designs and tasks presented to you.

no multiple choice here. Just were you able to do what was required, exactly as required.

And then they break it and you have to find out what happened and resolve it. And they break it in evil, evil ways. route poisening, arp poisening, broadcast floods, invalid layer2 addresses/multicast sources, overflowing your tables, bouncing things without telling you, flooding cam tables, doing NAT/PAT somewhere without telling you, mucking with MTUs, etc.