Which Car Would You Get BMW 325i or Audi A4 1.8?

noxipoo

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
BMW, more pimping. but i really want the porsche carrera GT concept. its dreamy

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A4, cheaper and looks better. Not to mention Quattro and the fact that Audi makes the best interiors in the biz:p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Prestige if you want to look like a rich guy get the BMW. In terms of which car is actually better? Well the Audi does look better as NFS4 said (when I said prestige i mean status - a BMW is still a "beemer"). I don't know how the performance compares but Audis are really stealing my eye a lot recently they are sweet cars.

I kind of think BMWs are a bit snotty though as well.

VoodooExtreme

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2000
NFS4:

<< ...Audi makes the best interiors in the biz... >>

Don't think so... the temperatur control in the A4 looks like somethink from the 80's...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Don't think so... the temperatur control in the A4 looks like somethink from the 80's... >>

Ahhhh, I think you're wrongo buddy ;) You ever sat in an Audi? Those things are tight. The leather, materials finish, and overall ergonomics put BMW's stark, dark interiors to shame. And temperature control?? That's all you can come up with? Picky picky. Hmm, wonder if it looks like a piece of 80's equipment since it's also on the Porsche Boxster and Porsche 911 only with different face buttons...

VoodooExtreme

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2000
Yep, i tested an Audi A4 95' and I thought the interier were very ugly... But that's just my opinion... The ones in our S40 looks much, much fresher/newer...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The S40 is old meat, been out in Europe for ages...just now geting over here.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bimmer without a doubt.

Just remember, both have perfect backseats........

if your passengers have no legs.

Windogg

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Ah, perfect timing. I just test drove a 2001 BMW 325i sedan and a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro this week. I decided to go with the Audi because:

a.) It's about 8k cheaper (MSRP) with comparable options.
b.) I liked the Audi interior more.
c.) I thought the A4 felt sportier.
d.) With a ~$500 chip upgrade, you can turn the 1.8T into a 200+ hp monster.
e.) Audi Advantage: They pay for oil changes, tuneups, etc. except tires for 4 years/50k miles.
f.) Too many BMW's on the road anyway, Be Different.

I do like the look of the BMW better, and it's more prestigious, but the Audi was so much more car for less money.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I guess boogak covered it - I heard there is a chip to turn the VW 1.8's into mean little engines as well :)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
skoorb,

The VW 1.8t is the same as the Audi.

I would definately take the Audi 1.8t Quattro over the BMW. For the 8k price difference I could turn that Audi into a 300hp plus beast. The AWD system is one of the main reasons I would take it over the BMW anyway.

Gaul

Nov 3, 1999
If we're talking new cars, the Audi

If we're talking used cars, definitely the BMW

this is coming from a BMW owner

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The BMW's have free service also. I have a 318ti myself and my dad has a 325 with over 260,000 miles on it. Their parts are very high quality.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
Audi all the way but I would get the TT with Quattro...you can't beat all wheel drive and twin turbos on a V6 (i think).;):cool::)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Audi all the way but I would get the TT with Quattro...you can't beat all wheel drive and twin turbos on a V6 (i think). >>

The Audi TT use a Turbo inline-4 in both 180HP and 225HP versions.

bUnMaNGo

Feb 9, 2000
What about the new Mercedes-Benz C class? :) They look like baby S classes, just like the Lexus IS sorta looks like a baby GS. The C240 is available with a 6spd manual here in the US too... can't wait to get home to go test drive one with my dad :p Actually, have you considered the IS300 too? It's damn cheap (about $33.5k nicely loaded) and it's a Lexus. Although some (like myself) don't think it's up to par with the rest of the Lexus family, I admit it is a nice car. My only complaints are the lack of an armrest/console in the middle and the lack of a 6spd tranny =D The chronograph dials look TIGHT though =)

Also, on Wangel's comment about BMW's service being better- I have to disagree. I have a friend with a '99 M3, and he says that the dealer treats him like sh*t. It may be the fact that he's 20 and drives a $40k car, but they (namely Assael BMW in S. Ca) don't give him the respect he deserves. I mean he got better service at the Honda dealer back when he had his Accord. I have another friend who was looking to get a new BMW, but they seemed to think that he was just a little punk kid just wanting to test drive a car, and that he wasn't really looking to buy a car. Keep in mind that this &quot;punk kid&quot; is a 30 year old graduate from Cal Tech. Turns out he went to the Audi dealer and picked himself up a nice little S4 =D While we're on the topic of service, I'd like to say that Lexus has excellent customer service. My friend (the one now with an M3) used to drive his parent's LS400, and when he would take it in to Longo Lexus (El Monte, CA) they would treat him really well. They have a huge underground service department complete with a lounge, refreshments, and even a putting green and a golfing net =D Talk about good facilities :) Anyways feel free to rant/rave/flame my message below =D

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
NFS4,

There will be a twin turbo v6 version available. When I was a VW mechanic one of our customers worked for the place here that tests VW and Audi. They are also testing an 8 cylinder Jetta with AWD and a 6 speed manual. Talk about a sleeper.