Which car would you buy? [poll]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: andylawcc
what? even the A-spec Evo without AYC can still spank the US-Spec 2.5L sti.... the Evo is a much better car despite being short of 20 hp.
Says who?

read it from a magazine, either Car-Driver or Road-Track.
(crediability just took a nose dives... ....)

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: mooncancook
Originally posted by: mitaiwan82
why's the Cooper even in the poll? it's in a different class than the other two...what are you looking for exactly in your next car?
a fun subcompact sports sedan/coupe at or under $30k. I thought of VW GTI and Beatle Turbo also but i'm not confident with VW reliability. I don't consider true sports cars lik Z and RX8... though RX8 is close...
I'm not sure you're ready for an STi or an Evo if you think that a GTI or a Mini is even in the same class...

For you, I think I should have voted for the Mini. The STi and Evo are not "fun" cars. They are serious performance cars with a relatively cheap price tag. Modern day muscle with an import twist. They have a bad habit of turning on young drivers who don't take them seriously.

Implying something?
what's wrong about comparing cars of different class together when you consider buying a car? It's not like i'm doing a review comparison of cars. And the poll question is "which car would you buy?", not which car do you think is the best performer. And please don't assume anything. I've been driving for 10 yrs and i've only got 1 traffic ticket so i'm not likely going to go crazy in a STi or Evo.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
"Keeping up" != "spank"

:)

"figure of speech" my friend :)

anyway, the A-spec Evo is de-tuned compare to the J-spec one. It doesn't have Active Yaw Control, and have a more restrictive exhaust to fit the larger-size US gas tank.

the A-spec Subbie however, has more horsepower than the J-spec one.
Either it is a better overall car with the 2.5L 300hp engine or not, the the A-spec Evo is in a disadvantage when compare directly to the A-spec STI.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'd say mustang gt convertible, but that's just me. i guess it's a little too big for you.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
test drive all three. the mini will be eliminated right away, and the evo and sti will come down to preference. my friend just bought an evo after test driving both. its also faster around a track- however, the sti does have more creature comforts inside, nicer interior. evo looks way better though, IMO.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i'd say mustang gt convertible, but that's just me. i guess it's a little too big for you.

mayb that's just me, but i think the new Mustang look fugly. never a mustang fan. If i want a sports car i'd consider RX8 or a used RX7 instead.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Check out the hot deals thread on the Saab 9-2x Aero.

I'd buy one if I didn't have issues spending that much on a car.

WRX at used WRX prices.

Viper GTS

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

WRX at used WRX prices.

Viper GTS

Test drove the 9-2x at the GM test drive event. It's really under power. Interior is very plain for an european car too.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

WRX at used WRX prices.

Viper GTS

Test drove the 9-2x at the GM test drive event. It's really under power. Interior is very plain for an european car too.

9-2x or the 9-2x Aero?

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

WRX at used WRX prices.

Viper GTS

9-2x or the 9-2x Aero?

hmm can't remember. what's the hp difference between them?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

WRX at used WRX prices.

Viper GTS

9-2x or the 9-2x Aero?

hmm can't remember. what's the hp difference between them?

165 hp for the 9-2x Linear and 227 hp for the 9-2x Aero...

Pretty big difference :)

MasterAndCommander

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix

mayb that's just me, but i think the new Mustang look fugly. never a mustang fan. If i want a sports car i'd consider RX8 or a used RX7 instead.

I feel the same way about the STi...looks fugly, but I respect what it can do. Evo is rather bland since its a Lancer, but I also repsect its capabilities. Mini's just make me want to puke...too much of a girly car.

KingPhil

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2000
I'd say stay away from the Cooper........... a vendor of mine drives a Cooper, its about 2 years old, 34k miles on it......... I rode in it feels like the damn thing is falling apart......