Which car would you buy? [poll]

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I'm saving for a down on a new or slightly used car. Budget is within 30k. I want a fun car with stick shift. I'm leaning toward the WRX STI coz my gf doesn't like the EVO, and my parents wouldn't be pleased with the size of the Mini (even though they won't ride on this car). Scion tC seems to be a good value but i think it's nowhere close as fun to drive than any of these 3 cars.

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: mooncancook
I'm saving for a down on a new or slightly used car. Budget is within 30k. I want a fun car with stick shift. I'm leaning toward the WRX STI coz my gf doesn't like the EVO, and my parents wouldn't be pleased with the size of the Mini (even though they won't ride on this car). Scion tC seems to be a good value but i think it's nowhere close as fun to drive than any of these 3 cars.

you can get a STi or Evo for under 30k? The last time I price these 2 cars, there are bunch of greedy dealers adding $$$ to the sticker.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: cy7878

you can get a STi or Evo for under 30k? The last time I price these 2 cars, there are bunch of greedy dealers adding $$$ to the sticker.

damn! I haven't checked the price on the dealers yet. I was hoping to get one at around MSRP, which is about 30k. Dealer making up the price on these?? If so i may look for a used one.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
STi
even though the EVO might be a better car around the track, I can't imagine its reliable.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
man, no love for the Mini??
I love the Mini with its ageless styling, but one thing that i prefer STI over Mini is AWD. I can put on some snow tires and go skiing without having to use chains.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
man, no love for the Mini??
I love the Mini with its ageless styling, but one thing that i prefer STI over Mini is AWD. I can put on some snow tires and go skiing without having to use chains.
I have as much respect for it as a VW bug. It's tiny, grossly overpriced, and just an embarrassment. If I'm in my minivan I still laugh at men driving a mini.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
As listed price at the local EVO dealer is $24,995 on a brand new '05! The wing will set you back an additional $895 according to the advertisement in the local paper.

Stevens Creek Mitsubishi delaer here in San Jose.

I'm voting EVO! but I don't think these cars are good daily drivers, great track cars but why buy this if your never gonna track it.

Don't forget about the Volvo S60R, about $30K used. S40 T5 AWD is 227HP and AWD with a lot of luxury features.

dcdude

May 8, 2005
oh and yeah if your taking suggestions on other cars I agree with fmr12b with the volvo s60 i fvcking love that car

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
As listed price at the local EVO dealer is $24,995 on a brand new '05! The wing will set you back an additional $895 according to the advertisement in the local paper.

I'm voting EVO! but I don't think these cars are good daily drivers, great track cars but why buy this if your never gonna track it.

Don't forget about the Volvo S60R, about $30K used. S40 T5 AWD is 227HP and AWD with a lot of luxury features.
The T5 is an automatic as far as I know. That said, the S60R is a good reccomendation.

From those, the STi

wbresson

Mar 24, 2002
Evo owner so yes I would get the Evo, just test drive both cars and buy the one you like. I liked the suspension on the Evo better, plus when the time comes you get more HP for the money when buying performance upgrades. Stock they are just about even, but put 3k in an Evo, put 3k in a Subi, and the Evo will out drag and Subi. See forums.evolutionm.net for any of your Evo questions, there are also some STI vs Evo threads over there that have advantages/disadvantages of each

If you need any more Evo info or even STI info PM me, you can also visit the Southern Cal Evo or Subi club, they both have a lot of members and I'm sure if you are nice about it they'll let you drive their car, some dealers wont' let you on brand new STI's or Evos a lot of the time

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CraigRT
STi
even though the EVO might be a better car around the track, I can't imagine its reliable.
The STi is every bit as good a track car as the Evo. When will people realize that the original C&D article claiming the Evo was better than the STI was written by a Mitsu contractor?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
STi

the evo has been through 8 generations in the market with basically the same engine. mitsu probably worked out al reliablilty problems now.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll
You should also look into a Subaru Legacy GT or Acura TSX/TL

TSX with 200HP is a joke of a enthusiasts car! The 0-60 in the 7.7sec range and the Qtr mile in the low 16's lead me to believe a bunch of former CIvic drivers buy these!

The FWD nature of the TL would lead me to overlook this car immediately and focus on the CTS & G35 as better alternatives. The TL is no larger than the Mazda 6S and significantly smaller than the G35/CTS.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
STi
The STi is every bit as good a track car as the Evo. When will people realize that the original C&D article claiming the Evo was better than the STI was written by a Mitsu contractor?
Not sure if the cars are the same, but top gear also rates the evo as faster...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mwmorph
STi
the evo has been through 8 generations in the market with basically the same engine. mitsu probably worked out al reliablilty problems now.
The STi is also currently in its 8th generation (version 8, as subie nuts call it). The 2.5L turbo in the USDM is different than the 2.0L turbo used in the rest of the world, but there have been no complaints about realibility that I have seen.

The price difference in modding is starting to go down as well, as modders in the US get more experienced with the Subarus.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Originally posted by: Fmr12B

The T5 is an automatic as far as I know. That said, the S60R is a good reccomendation.

From those, the STi

WRONG! The S40T5 which is based on the all new European Focus chasis (USA still gets the old Focus platform) gets you 218HP and a 6-spd manual trans.
Volvo S40