Which car do I get?

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
Ok, for the past month or two I've been talking about getting a 3rd gen Firebird, doing some fun stuff to it (not enough that I have to pull it off the street, but enough to make it respectable at the track). I found one the other day, 85 T/A Special Edition, 305 V8, guy is asking $500 for it. Its in halfway decent shape. Minor rust, clearcoat is peeling, needs an ignition coil. Nothing I can't fix.

Now here comes the curveball. My dad finds a '70 Chevelle. Its in mostly the same shape. No rust, paint is shot, some of the interior is salvagable, no engine/tranny. This one is $2,000.

All things equal, I'd rather have the Firebird. Easier to get parts for, and I'd feel less bad tearing it up. My father raised a good point, though. Its unlikely I'll be able to keep these cars for more than 7 or 8 years, because I'll be starting my life and need the money for a house or kids or college or soemthing. Now, if I bought the Firebird for $500, and put $9,500 into it, it would be worth $3,000. If I bought the Chevelle for $2,000, and put $8,000 into it, it would be worth $15,000. He also dosn't belive the Chevelle would be any harder to get parts for.

I'm right on the fence with this one, anyone want to offer any opinions to try to push me over?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Are you white trash?

If yes, enjoy the Firebird. If no, go with the Chevelle.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
firebirds require mullets. in fact, california state law requires all firebird owners to have mullets and smoke cigarettes.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Where are you sitting on cash? Are you up to putting the engine/tranny into the chevelle?