Which candidates drop out after New Hampshire?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Simple, who should drop out after New Hampshire?

BTW the people left out of the poll should all stay in the race till at least South Carolina.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
should: all of the above.

will: probably none of the above.

edwards should have never been in this to begin with.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Thompson didn't do anything in N.H. and he said he'd rather face the voters where he "has more of a stand." (Pretty freakin bad move basically telling a whole state they didn't matter).

Edwards won't. They're going to push him for VP again, which is dumb.

Richardson, yes.

Paul? No, and he shouldn't. He should start spending a lot more to get his name out there further in the upcoming states. Not sure why he's hoarding all of the cash he got.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
^ because Paul knows he can't win and he also knows that he can do whatever he wants with that money, besides spend it on himself.

He could take that $20 million and spend it to support similar candidates etc.
He could also run issue ads in the fall election.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
idk why edwards is sticking in the race when he's obviously got no shot at winning and no one is going to give him a second chance to screw things up as a VP candidate.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
idk why edwards is sticking in the race when he's obviously got no shot at winning and no one is going to give him a second chance to screw things up as a VP candidate.

you should be thankful, he's giving Hillary a shot.

or was that techs that is a Hillary nut?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
^ because Paul knows he can't win and he also knows that he can do whatever he wants with that money, besides spend it on himself.

Paul will continue, for as long as he can. To win? Proabably not. He'll continue spread his message. The more that hear it, the better.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre

Paul will continue, for as long as he can. To win? Proabably not. He'll continue spread his message. The more that hear it, the better.
what a total waste of 20million bucks! damnit... Does he know how many kids went without bubble gum last week!? does he realize just how many kids gave up a few new Xbox games for his butt?!

He better stay in, or there are going to be some really pissed off kids at prom this year!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse74

what a total waste of 20million bucks! damnit... Does he know how many kids went without bubble gum last week!? does he realize just how many kids gave up a few new Xbox games for his butt?!

He better stay in, or there are going to be some really pissed off kids at prom this year!

Oh, come on. :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I don't see too many people dropping out this early. For the dems, the top three took 94% of the vote, down from the 97% in Iowa. But Hill went from first to third, Edwards from second to distant third, and Obama from first to second. And of the leftover crumbs, Richardson 5%, and consistent Kucinich at 1%. And Edwards next goes to home turf where he may reassert
being more solidly in the top three.

On the Republican side, the top three finishers took 80% of the vote up from the 72% in Iowa. But its almost a totally different top three from Iowa. McCain goes from 13% in Iowa to a win in NH, Mitts again in second, and Huck goes way down from first to a 12 % showing
to grab third. Of the 20% crumbs, it looks like Giuliani got 9 and Paul 8, leaving the last 2 splitting almost nothing.

But bottom line, read de numbers, in the first two contests, no one has topped 40% on either side. And more importantly, no one is showing a consistent appeal.

And consider the ONE BIG WINNING FACT. It takes 50% of the vote to win the nomination of
the both the Democrats and Republicans. And with no one close to 50% which basically takes
a two person race, why should anyone drop now?

Because if it comes to a split convention with no one arriving with 50% of the delegates lined up, even a few percent of the delegates become huge political capital for a minor also ran.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Edwards will probably stay in. There are only three 'major' candidates for the Dems and he is one of them, whereas the Republicans have at least four who will probably stay in a bit longer (Giuliani, Huckabee, Romney, McCain). Ron Paul will probably stay in as an 'issue' candidate to try to get his message out there, much like Kucinich.

Unfortunately, Edwards probably takes more votes away from Obama than Hillary and might end up handing her the nomination.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I hope Paul runs as an Independent if just to act as a "None of the above" candidate.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I hope Paul runs as an Independent if just to act as a "None of the above" candidate.

If he does, the Republicans are dead, if they aren't already.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

There are no similar candidates to him. The Republican field is basically 4 of the same plus Ron Paul. I dont see any of the other Republicans doing anything other than resume the fiscally irresponsible, jingoistic ideals set by the current administration. Well Huckabee might be the only one that *may* want to attempt to stray from that downward spiral

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina

That would be great

Indeed, it'll be the Nader effect for the Right siphoning off enough votes to guarantee any Dem a victory. GO RP!! :)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk

That would be great

Indeed, it'll be the Nader effect for the Right siphoning off enough votes to guarantee any Dem a victory. GO RP!! :)

Maybe, maybe not. Pure speculation.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Is there any polling showing how Paul?s support breaks down across party lines?

i.e. 50% Republican 50% Democrat? If it is close to a split then he may not hurt either side, but if it breaks too far to one side or the other then it would be a major issue.

BTW Paul got 18,276 votes out a total of 525,671 total votes for both sides.
So Paul got 3.4% of the total votes. There are only a few states that such a small number of votes would make a difference. Of course those few states, Ohio and Fl, could turn the entire election. However, you would have to look at how his vote broke down between parties to see how much of a real difference he would make. I would guess that somewhere between 66 and 75% of his votes would have to come from one party for him to make a difference on the outcome.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

That would be great

Maybe, maybe not. Pure speculation.

Well, to be fair, I'm sure the RP philosophies on personal freedom and foreign policy connect with many of the voters who voted (D) simply because the (R)'s have shown such consistent boneheaded decisions in those areas for so long. Of course, this is somewhat disingenuous because the (D)'s have gone along for many horribly stupid decisions (probably the result of finger to the wind polling and special interest string pulling rather than anything more intellectually substantive). You can blame BOTH parties for the Iraq debacle, the Patriot Acts, and the Amerikkka of the past 7 years.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Balt
Unfortunately, Edwards probably takes more votes away from Obama than Hillary and might end up handing her the nomination.

Of course he does. He's splitting the anti-Hillary vote. If Edwards folds, Obama gets the nomination with ease. So expect him to stay put...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Is there any polling showing how Paul?s support breaks down across party lines?

i.e. 50% Republican 50% Democrat? If it is close to a split then he may not hurt either side, but if it breaks too far to one side or the other then it would be a major issue.

BTW Paul got 18,276 votes out a total of 525,671 total votes for both sides.
So Paul got 3.4% of the total votes. There are only a few states that such a small number of votes would make a difference. Of course those few states, Ohio and Fl, could turn the entire election. However, you would have to look at how his vote broke down between parties to see how much of a real difference he would make. I would guess that somewhere between 66 and 75% of his votes would have to come from one party for him to make a difference on the outcome.

Well, those numbers are also spread out over all the other candidates. Those numbers would be very different if there were only 3 candidates, 1 R, 1 D, and one RP. And if this is where we end up, he would get some more media attention. And that's really the big problem, people don't know who RP is.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster

Of course he does. He's splitting the anti-Hillary vote. If Edwards folds, Obama gets the nomination with ease. So expect him to stay put...

Yeah, I think so, too. People have already decided if they like Hillary or not. Edwards goes, and yeah, most of his votes go to Obama.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

Yeah, I think so, too. People have already decided if they like Hillary or not. Edwards goes, and yeah, most of his votes go to Obama.

Yeah, it's two non-establishment candidates vs 1 establishment

It's nice to see at least in the Democrat side that people are actually voting for change.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think it might be time soon for the Ron Paul supporters to realize that their candidate does not really enjoy very much support. It's not from a lack of media coverage, (he's certainly gotten far more then other candidates that poll similarly) its just that he appeals strongly to a highly vocal and motivated minority.

If the election were conducted on internet message boards, Ron Paul would be cruising to victory as we speak. That's what I think is confusing to some people, they look around at where they hang out on the internet and see legions of Ron Paul supporters... and yet he loses badly in real contests. It reminds me of when I was a kid and grew up in the ultra republican suburbs of Philadelphia. All I ever saw were Republican supporters and I always wondered how it was possible that a Democrat ever won anything at all.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
If the election were conducted on internet message boards, Ron Paul would be cruising to victory as we speak. That's what I think is confusing to some people, they look around at where they hang out on the internet and see legions of Ron Paul supporters... and yet he loses badly in real contests. It reminds me of when I was a kid and grew up in the ultra republican suburbs of Philadelphia. All I ever saw were Republican supporters and I always wondered how it was possible that a Democrat ever won anything at all.

It's called Reality Distortion Field. Your analogy is a good one. If you never left that suburb, you might never realize there's something else out there. And lots of this country is similarly unaware, either through naivety or fate.