Question Which cables to use to connect monitor and laptop and PC

Big Dirty Man

Oct 16, 2007
Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'd like to connect my new Asus monitor to both a gaming laptop and a desktop PC but am a bit confused as to which cables I should use.

The new monitor has one DisplayPort 1.2 port and two HDMI ports.

The laptop only has a single HDMI port, while the desktop has both HDMI ports and a DisplayPort.

The desktop will always be connected to the monitor for daily personal use, while the laptop will only get connected to the monitor for occasional gaming.

I'm confused as to which cables to use with the two different kinds of ports. Here are some possible options I see:

1) I One dedicated HDMI cable from monitor to desktop and a second HDMI cable from monitor to the laptop.

2) DisplayPort cable (both ends) from monitor to desktop and HDMI cable from monitor to laptop.

Are there any other options to consider? Would I want to run a cable with DisplayPort connector at one end (monitor) and HDMI connector at the other end to the laptop for best display performance?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
You can do either. To keep it simple you could just use HDMI cables and plug in the laptop as needed and switch the input on the monitor.

DP cables offer more more bandwidth if you're needing 4/8k. There are also HDMI/DP cables with one connector type on each end.