Which cables do you recommend?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm looking for a couple 15ft display port 1.2 cables that are fully standards compliant. I was about to buy some online but then I saw that people were reviewing them and saying the cable caused flickering or didn't support X resolution at Y hertz, etc. And that when they bought Z cable, it was no issues because it was standards compliant. However, that cable was shorter than what I wanted and cost like 3x as much.

I could use a couple USB 3.0 Type A to Type B cables too... also standards compliant and around 15ft. (Supposedly anything over 9.8ft isn't really recommended... Hmph. That is annoying.)

Last edited:

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I'm looking for a couple 15ft display port 1.2 cables that are fully standards compliant. I was about to buy some online but then I saw that people were reviewing them and saying the cable caused flickering or didn't support X resolution at Y hertz, etc. And that when they bought Z cable, it was no issues because it was standards compliant. However, that cable was shorter than what I wanted and cost like 3x as much.

I could use a couple USB 3.0 Type A to Type B cables too... also standards compliant and around 15ft. (Supposedly anything over 9.8ft isn't really recommended... Hmph. That is annoying.)

Active or passive?

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
I've never gotten a single bad cable from Monoprice, including the 15-foot DVI-to-HDMI I got a few years back. Good quality cables at really good prices. Here's their Displayport section:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10246

They don't appear to have straight Displayport-to-Displayport cables at that length, but they have 15-foot Displayport-to-Minidisplayport for $6.86 if that would work for your application. Or a MiniDP-to-MiniDP for $7.94.

I looked and didn't see a USB 3.0 A-to-B cable any longer than 6 feet, though.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
With digital cables such as HDMI, DVI and DP it really doesn't matter, quality cannot suffer over a digital cable. It's just a case of which are cheapest.

Remember that All of these standards come with various different revisions or specifications and they support different bandwidths which in turn allow for higher resolutions and higher refresh rates, so make sure you identify what version of the connector you need and make sure the cable you're buying is rated for that.

Cables past a certain rated distance may just fail, so you need to put boosters on them to make them active, in my personal experience you can exceed the max distance of the cables by a fair amount without any issue, either way it's quite far something like 50ft for HDMI.

Otherwise just go with the cheapest or whatever is on offer, quality of cable and connectors only matters when you're talking about analogue signals which is more or less completely depreciated in modern displays.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
With digital cables such as HDMI, DVI and DP it really doesn't matter, quality cannot suffer over a digital cable. It's just a case of which are cheapest.

Being digital does not make signal immune to laws of physics. Even something as basic (and old) as DVI can stop working once pushed to the limits (by distance or resolution) and it happened many times with cheap cables - they work perfectly @1080P and no longer do 1440P, even if rated for it...

EDIT: I do not advocate buying gold plated ethernet cabling, but rather pointing out that research before buying is a must, usually comment section will tell all you need.

wallabe

Nov 4, 2015
I just ordered Displayport to Displayport by Cable Matters 25 feet length. I'll tell you how it goes after I test it at 4K resolution on the Dell P2715Q.

I don't see anyone else with that length I need.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I just ordered Displayport to Displayport by Cable Matters 25 feet length. I'll tell you how it goes after I test it at 4K resolution on the Dell P2715Q.

I don't see anyone else with that length I need.

Those cables have a bad review about it not working with 1440p at 144hz. (Important for me, I am thinking of getting a 1440p 165hz monitor)

wallabe

Nov 4, 2015
Those cables have a bad review about it not working with 1440p at 144hz. (Important for me, I am thinking of getting a 1440p 165hz monitor)

I notice the reviews about that too, but that's the only choice for the length I need. Worst case, I can just return it.

I'll be testing 4K at 60Hz with the 25 feet cable. If it works, I'll keep it. I have a 144Hz monitor but it's only 1080p, so I can't test the 1440p.

The 144Hz monitor uses DVI dual-link, that's the only way to get 144Hz on that monitor.

Last edited:

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Any luck with finding this cable TridenT? I am also looking for a longer Display Port cable for my monitor. Are there any extensions?

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Being digital does not make signal immune to laws of physics. Even something as basic (and old) as DVI can stop working once pushed to the limits (by distance or resolution) and it happened many times with cheap cables - they work perfectly @1080P and no longer do 1440P, even if rated for it...

EDIT: I do not advocate buying gold plated ethernet cabling, but rather pointing out that research before buying is a must, usually comment section will tell all you need.

Yes the cables are rated for specific limits and if you meet them or exceed them you may have a signal that stops working, but quality cannot suffer like with analogue. Either the cable works at the distance you want or it doesn't. Typically cables are tested for specific length and rated to that length.

If a cable doesn't work then it's defective and you can return it, not like an analogue one where quality drops of proportional to distance and there's ambiguity to what degree it's working.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Any luck with finding this cable TridenT? I am also looking for a longer Display Port cable for my monitor. Are there any extensions?

I haven't yet. I am looking around but I might get the standard size and see if I can just find an extension. That seems to be the smart way to go. (That way I have a certified DP compliant cable but then I can extend it and risk it be non-compliant if I need to)

Seems I might get the Accell cable. :( It's so expensive but I'll know it's 100% good. The cable matters one just gets poor reviews from some people about it not being complaint still. :'(

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
If you're getting a $500+ monitor, you're getting a $20 cable. It's called pay to play.

wallabe

Nov 4, 2015
That Displayport cable I got works on my 4K monitor at 60Hz. You can buy up to 35 feet. I got the 25 feet version and it works perfectly, no flickering.

You haven't mention what resolution you need and Hz.

darckhart

Jul 6, 2004
I pretty much only buy Accell cables now. but I'm sure that any that are actually certified will work as you want. you get what you pay for really...