Which cable?

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I'm currently using an LG W2252TQ monitor hooked to an HD4850.
The monitor has both 15Pin D-Sub and DVI-D.
The cable I have now is a basic 15Pin male to male & a D-Sub > DVI adapter on my video card.
Will I notice a difference if I went w/a DVI - DVI cable?
I also have a DVI > HDMI adapter, but I don't know if one loses quality when using an adapter.
What would be my best route?
Thanks.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
straight DVI to DVI.

HDMI is often limited to certain resolutions, d-sub requires an analog conversion. depending on the quality of your monitor's guts, this could look pretty indistinguishable from DVI, but it most cases, you will at least notice a sharpening of things like text.

do you not have a DVI out on your video card?

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: brblx
straight DVI to DVI.

HDMI is often limited to certain resolutions, d-sub requires an analog conversion. depending on the quality of your monitor's guts, this could look pretty indistinguishable from DVI, but it most cases, you will at least notice a sharpening of things like text.

Yes. There's 2 DVI connectors on my video card. I'm having to use an adapter for my 15pin vga cable.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
straight DVI to DVI.

Why would HDMI be limited to certain resolutions? (source please) The only difference between HDMI and DVI-d is HDMI caries a audio signal, otherwise they are electrically compatible.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
honestly? i don't know why that is. but i've heard of more than a few cases where monitors wouldn't accept certain resolutions through HDMI. it's a much more prevalent problem with TV's, though.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
So you're saying, for example, a LCD that has both DVI and HDMI will be unable to display certain resolutions on the HDMI interface?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Either DVI-D to DVI-D or HDMI to DVI-D would be fine, and you won't see any loss on an LG W2252TQ . However, you would notice a loss in quality going from DVI to D-Sub.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
D-Sub is analog and if the cable passes near a noise source it can pass that on to the monitor. DVI is digital and not as susceptible to noise , so use it if you can. HDMI somtimes doesn't work with a pc to TV or monitor connection. The reason is because devices that have HDMI connectors are usually meant for entertainment use, TV, Bluray, etc . Sometimes the controllers attached to that port do not understand pc resolutions like 1680x1050 and will give you an error message or no picture at all. It varies with device.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Schmide
So you're saying, for example, a LCD that has both DVI and HDMI will be unable to display certain resolutions on the HDMI interface?

Its a trial and error thing that varies with models. It isn't a limitation of the interface itself, it is the way some devices expect HDMI to be in the 720/1080 format and don't understand other ones.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Tullphan
straight DVI to DVI.

Yes. There's 2 DVI connectors on my video card. I'm having to use an adapter for my 15pin vga cable.

DVI could look substantially better, or it could be indistinguishable. Still, DVI allows for the computer to more accurately control the monitor's settings, so you might get better color accuracy and such.

But just get a dvi cable, it's not like they're expensive. (though the dvi cables on this site are cheaper, and there's a dvi to hdmi cable for under $3, and on an ati card it might even carry sound)
http://www.monoprice.com/produ..._id=614&seq=1&format=2