Which budget AM2 motherboard?

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Will possibly see some light overclocking down the road.
It's for an AMD x2 3800.
I'll be running two 1 gig sticks of ram...manufacturer unknown at this time...possibly some Kingston Value ram until prices stabilze somewhat.
It needs to be ATX size.
SLI doesn't interest me.
Onboard audio's fine.
Will be using either a 7600GT or 7800GT (depending on budget).
I'd like to stay around $75 if possible.
Torn between this (because of the sponsor link in the Hot Deals forum), this (for no particular reason, other than it seems like a good price), this (because I think I read this particular one is supposed to be slightly better than the other MSI I had listed, even though it's slightly higher), and finally this one.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Choose whichever one Newegg is doing the combo deal on when you buy.

moosey

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
I'd check as many reviews as possible, but just offhand, I'd probably take the Biostar with the rebate and it seems like a lot of people have bought it and liked it (even though Newegg reviews aren't really the best to go off of).

Also, on the video card, I think if you're looking at a 7800GT, you're better off with a 7900GS or X1950Pro.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Zap
Choose whichever one Newegg is doing the combo deal on when you buy.

I've already got the CPU...an x2 3800. I'm afraid if I get the 3600 in the combo, i'd end up losing trying to sell it due to recent price cuts.

Originally posted by: moosey
Also, on the video card, I think if you're looking at a 7800GT, you're better off with a 7900GS or X1950Pro.

The only reason i'm considering a 7xxx series video card is that i'm dual-booting w/Linux & it seems that there's usually issues w/ATI cards.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I also found this Biostar motherboard w/the 550 chipset but the reviews here concerns me about it's longevity due to the VRM temperatures.
Also, while it's slightly above my budget, I found this DFI board. The only thing is, I don't know if there's much performance difference between the nForce 4 chipset & the nForce 550 chipset?
I do seem to like the layout of the DFI board better...that is, assuming i'm using a cooler similar to my Arctic Cooling Pro.
Comments?

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
I have the Biostar TFORCE 550 .. Had it stable up to 311 FSB .. Though I have kept the memory below 400 ..

No problems for a couple of months now...

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Diogenes2
I have the Biostar TFORCE 550 .. Had it stable up to 311 FSB .. Though I have kept the memory below 400 ..

No problems for a couple of months now...

Could you not go beyond 311 due to mobo limitations or processor limitations?

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
What about the chipset difference? Much performance difference between the tForce & the nForce?