which brand of gasoline gives u the most mpg?

cHeeZeFacTory

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
I've heard shell gasoline is really good for you car...is this true? I don't buy shell ever though, because of their bad rep. Is there any difference between all the different brands of gas? Are brands like mobil or cheveron better than arco? Or are they all the same?

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
Buy marathon :-\ it will keep my dad working for 5 years until he retires...then you guys can buy other stuff.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I almost always put Amaco/BP premium in. My gas milage increase about 10-15% over Citco midgrade.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Shell is the best because they have a big neat sign. It's a shell. I think that fomes from the fact that shells were used to date and identify rock strata that helped to locate oil bearing rocks, so yes, shell is definitely the best.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
As was stated before, gas is gas.

That is, unless your car requires a higher octane blend. But don't go throwing 94 octane in a car that calls for 87, as you're just wasting your money and potentially doing damage to your engine.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
what time zone are you in? the history channel just ran a documentary.

gas is gas. just the additive package is different.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Screw brands. I buy whichever is the cheapest stuff out there. No matter what gas I use, I get ~ 500 miles on a tank on the highway and about ~ 400 miles in the city with my car.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have to use the highest octane I can find anywhere. Most of the time that is only 93(94 at sunoco). I would say that over the miles I put on my car in a short amount of time the following gases felt the best

1.Texaco and Shell
2. Chevron and Amoco
3. BP and Exxon

Really any major brand was good minus Racetrac,Phillips 66, circle k, 7-11, and quiktrip.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: PsychoAndy

At first, I thought the "what time zone are you in" comment was some sort of obscure insult.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Spoooon

At first, I thought the "what time zone are you in" comment was some sort of obscure insult.

nope. check your local listings. there was a documentary on gas.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Linux23
i swear by Texaco ~ Nissan recommends it.

Mobil, Sunoco, and Amoco are next.

Texaco pumps are too slow... I go with Shell. :)

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Spoooon

I'm in Pacific time zone. Can I still catch it?

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Shell is the best because they have a big neat sign. It's a shell. I think that fomes from the fact that shells were used to date and identify rock strata that helped to locate oil bearing rocks, so yes, shell is definitely the best.
Yeah, yeah, but, um, Pegasus the flying horse on the Mobil logo sprang from the blood of Medusa and helped his master slay dragons.

So Mobil is better - Nyaaaah, nyaaaah!

Ly2n

Dec 26, 2001
Gas is Gas, the major oil companies said so in a lawsuit settled in Washington DC years ago. Lynn

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: aphexII
Originally posted by: Linux23
i swear by Texaco ~ Nissan recommends it.

Mobil, Sunoco, and Amoco are next.

Texaco pumps are too slow... I go with Shell. :)

the one i go to, i'm in and out in less than 5-8 minutes tops. and there is a cutey i flirt with there too, so the time really doesn't bother me. :)

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I was reading an artivle in Ward's Autoworld about the differences in different brands of gas. There is actually an investigation going on in certain manufacturers that are putting low quality detergents in their gasoline that actually cause buildup instead of clean it. Unfortunately, someone interupted me before I got to the part saying which manufacturers were bad. They did say Amoco Silver (maybe it was Gold) was one of the best.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Linux23
I'm curious, how does Nissan recomend Texaco. I've never seen a car manufactuer recomend a specific brand of gas.

If you can find the distribution center for gasoline in your region go watch it for a few hours some day. Chances are very good that there is only one and most gas stations in a region all use the same gasoline. The additive package will be different for the different brands. The additives are mixed with the gasoline as the tanker is filled.

Having said that, I usually use Phillips gas. My dad drove two different cars over 250k miles using Phillips gas and motor oil. It's kind of a family habit now. Also the Phillips stations are usually the best in this region ( cleanest and fastest).

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I usually use Texaco. I used to use Arco (the cheapest around here) but it would cause my truck to sputter too much.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Exxon is very good in my car for whatever reasons..

In any case, look how much damage the crude from the Valdez did to the wildlife. Anything that potent must be great for my accord:D

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
From what I understand a Chevron gas station only has to have a certain percentage of "Chevron" gas to put up the Chevron sign and that percentage is a small precentage. The rest of the gas in the tanks could be the cheaper stuff. This is not the policy of all gas station chains but many are run this way. So gas is gas. I prefer Texaco, Chevron, Mobil/Exxon, then whatever else.