Which benchmarks for AutoCAD, Inventor, Bridge/ACR

Lee Saxon

Jan 31, 2010
I do 2D in AutoCAD, 3D in Inventor, and lots of raw image conversion in Bridge/ACR/Photoshop. Couldn't care less about gaming if I tried. Which benchmarks are the most meaningful to me? I don't mind going to other sites if Anandtech's reviews don't include what I need.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Most CAD software, even though it's multi-threaded, performs as if it was single threaded. SolidWorks and Inventor for example have the model tree on the left. If you have to go back to an early feature and change it, then rebuild, the cpu has to compute following features one step one at a time. It can't be done in parallel. Pretty much two cores get used in SolidWorks part rebuilds and any extra cores are worthless. Anyway, so my point is that single threaded performance is the most important thing for modeling. If you want the absolute best for this then it would mean getting a 7600K or 7700K for mainstream cpus on the mainstream socket motherboards. It doesn't mean Ryzen is pathetic and slow, but they are slower for modeling.
SolidWorks example here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/
Those guys have other articles, but I haven't seen anything with Autodesk products.
Now the other things you mention I'm not so familiar with, but they seem like they would be more multi threaded. That might knock out the 7600k as an option. Ryzen might be pretty good here, but I'm not sure. Overall it's hard to go wrong with a 7700K I think for general CAD work. Ryzen might make a nice budget option if you get a Ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X. Other cpus will do the job too. No need to break the bank.

BradC

Apr 24, 2017
I went through this a few years ago for AutoCAD and Revit. I'm still using an overclocked i7-3770K. I started out with a 3570K but got a measurable improvement with the extra cache of the 3770 for *my* specific use case. Disabled Hyper-Threading as that gave me a whisker of extra speed too.

My use case is quite pathological though. I do very large exports in Revit and then run thousands of lines of AutoLISP on them in AutoCAD. A batch run for me can take 4 hours a go. I used my real world load as a benchmark. I've recently picked up a Ryzen 1800X and stock clocks it's not much different to the 3770K @ 4.3GHz. I was running the i7 at 4.6GHz for a few years, but after 3 years of 24/7 it began to get unstable and I had to drop it down to 4.3GHz.

AutoCAD is a very single-threaded beast. Clocks and Cache are your friend there. I can't assist with the others though. The fact the Ryzen is about as fast as the overclocked 3770K would indicate that for multi-threaded stuff there's a win to be had there. I'm using it elsewhere, but as I already had a setup I could use to compare I ran some comparative tests. I'll stick with the 3770K until someone comes out with something demonstrably faster.

Again, only applies for my specific use case and my opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid for it.

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
Anyone using Ryzen with Rhinoceros3D? It also seems to be single-threaded, but I'm wondering what the larger caches of Ryzen could bring to the table, as Rhino uses tons of RAM.