Which ATI AIW card should I buy?

Groucho

Feb 28, 2002
My company is just starting to dabble in A/V stuff. I am putting together two PC's (One for the user who will be doing the work and one for us to support her with) to do video capture/editing. I have ordered the PCs but haven't decided on what video card to purchase.

I'm looking at the ATI AIW 8500DV but I'm not sure if it's the best for my needs. The user will need to capture video from a DV camcorder and from cable TV shows and would like to create DVD's for presentations and board meetings.

The PC is a:
Dell 340 workstation w/533 bus
2.5 Ghz P4
1GB RAM
(2) 120GB 7200RPM HD's
DVD/RW

There are a few different AIW cards and I can't really tell which one is the best. Also I heard that ATI is going to release a new AIW card soon (a 9500 possibly?) and I wonder if I should wait for that card instead. If anyone can give me some feedback I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
If you want to get into A/V, then try firewire from the camera. It is alot faster and will give you the full digital stream from the DV camcorder. Then try something like a Pinnacle firewire card and you will be all set. It will give you better quality than the AIW card.

ASK THE COMMUNITY