Question Which AMD board? Or go Intel?

topslop1

May 8, 2004
I'm only getting 2933mhz out of my DDR 3200 ram and after doing some research I'm told that the motherboard I have is just not very good with getting correct ram speeds/timings.

I'm also experiencing 'hitching' or 'jolting' while playing Black Ops 4. I'm taking a small guess that this could be memory/board related in some fashion.

What's a good replacement board that will work with my current processor - and a future processor should I want to pick up a Ryzen 3000 chip this summer?

I'm mainly a gamer, so I could benefit from Intel's side of things, but I'd be out the money for a board and a processor immediately as opposed to a board to correct my issue, and then a faster chip this summer.

Let me know what board(s) look good for me, and or if I should wait, suck it up, and just go full Intel this summer.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Users will need your full system specs to give any kind of accurate answer / suggestion.

Plus, it's not uncommon at all for RAM speeds to top out at 2933 (unless it is on the QVL list as running faster, or Samsung B-die modules).

Reactions: VirtualLarry

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
We dont know.

There could be an issue with reported speed, or the ram you own didnt like the overclock so the mb reverted it to base speed, or there could be a bios setting that defaults it to this, there's many variables for ram+mb that it's generally best to ask on the official forums of the mb manufacturer.

Q2: you should defo not buy anything now as ryzen 3000 promises to be colossal, this could their C2D equivalent, so just hold tight for now.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Your problem in blackout highly likely won't be fixed by getting slightly faster memory. Sounds like a problem you might want to investigate a bit more as it should run smoothly with the correct settings.

I'd try to get to 3.9/4.0ghz @1.4V (or less!) on your cpu, that shouldn't be too hard.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is the 2933 considered an overclock for speed? I guess, what is the default speed the chip/board thinks the ram should run at?

DDR 2933 is officially supported by the 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs, but for 1st gen like yours, the official spec is DDR4 2667. So yes, what you are running it at is considered overclocking. Since the memory controller is on the CPU, some will be better than others running it at faster speeds.

I'm only getting 2933mhz out of my DDR 3200 ram and after doing some research I'm told that the motherboard I have is just not very good with getting correct ram speeds/timings.

I'm also experiencing 'hitching' or 'jolting' while playing Black Ops 4. I'm taking a small guess that this could be memory/board related in some fashion.

Also, any "hitching" or "jolting" would likely not be because of your CPU or RAM. While the Ryzen 1700 isn't the fastest CPU for gaming, it still isn't that much slower (especially at 1440p gaming and above).

It's likely due to your 144hz AMD Freesync monitor and your Nvidia GPU. You might be better off picking up a RX56 GPU (under $300 new, used $225 - $250ish) or even the power hog RX64 ($399 new). Either that, or dial back some game settings or the monitor refresh rate.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would try a board BIOS update, and then possibly upgrade to a 3000 series Ryzen later. It also might be related to your 1070 overclock, so possibly test for stability with that or your CPU overclock.

topslop1

May 8, 2004
I've run Time Spy a couple of times with the videocard to check for stability on the OC. Runs through. I've put it back to stock clocks. I've run Prime 95 overnight with the RAM at 2933 and it runs without a problem. The 3.7 OC has held through Prime 95 as well. Have updated BIOS to most current version, updated chipset drivers with AMD, updated videocard drivers (without geforce experience, just the raw drivers.) Updated Windows 10 to most recent. I am running 144hz @ 1440p on the monitor and I'm running through an HDMI port. I turned off rapid mode on my samsung SSD 850 EVO. Just did a Malware and virus scan.. need to test a run through but as you can tell I seem to be throwing just about everything I know to do / have at this.

If I didn't have so much work stuff on this computer I'd do a fresh format. And I may figure out a way to transfer over, and still do a fresh format to test out.

I've followed this guide

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Just saw this when clicking some information about the SSD - is there a problem here that needs to be fixed?

Something's not right. I have Samsung SSDs in all my PCs and laptops, and I've never seen that warning before. Have you tried disabling RAPID mode or updating the SSD firmware?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Wait, if your computer is full of work stuff, what the heck are you doing trying to overclock the RAM? Leave things at stock, unless you want to corrupt all your data. Yeesh.

topslop1

May 8, 2004
oh son of a bitch, I guess I'll turn that mode off then won't I.

I am lately getting frustrated with optimization between intel/nvidia and every other major partner or video game studio out there.. bums me out as I do like AMD offerings from time to time.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You know, you should try resetting CMOS, and running your Ryzen-based rig entirely at stock clocks. At least, web browsing, my Ryzen R5 1600 rig with RX 570 card, feels "smoother" (even while mining in the background!), when my rig is set to stock clocks (3.2Ghz base clock, 3.4Ghz ACT), than when I have it OCed to 3.7-3.8Ghz. Sure, there is a difference in synthetic benchmarks when I OC a bit (was under water, so overheating wasn't an issue), but there appears to be some sort of latency-related issue internally, with that board I was using (ASRock AB350M Pro4), when OCed, that just ruined the "super-smooth" feeling. It's hard to describe, and entirely subjective, I know, but it feels like a real issue to me. So I'm not OCed, and just in a holding pattern (well, I recently upgraded from that mobo, to a pair of Gigabyte AX370-Gaming ATX mobos, and Intel 545s 512GB SATA6G SSDs), waiting for the 16C/32T Ryzen 3000-series to drop in 2019. Hopefully, there will be support with their X370 board. And maybe I'll still be able to use my Windows 7 64-bit triple-boot with a 3000-series.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You dont have a spare ssd around to just try a fresh install? try stock clocks, but imo its the gfx card 1070 isnt good enough to run 1440 144hz not even close right? as someone else said turn off some settings. i usually turn off shadows all together but thats just me, also i dont need to see the reflections off the water either.