Which 5870 is the one for me?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Some folks here like the PowerColor. I'm leaning to that one, as it is basically the same length as my current EVGA nVidia 280. I have mid-tower case size restrictions (10 1/2").

Do I have other choices? I need the shorter length 5870. I will probably not OC the card. I want the best warranty/customer service, as opposed to the fastest. Specific card recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
If you 're limited with space I would consider a new case if I were you...

Last edited:

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
if you dont have room by a 5850 and overlock it above 5870 clocks

even if you get identical clocks the 5870 is a mere 5% faster

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you're not overclocking, you might like the card I have. The Sapphire VaporX cards are very quiet, but because they are non-reference you cannot tweak the voltage to get those 1GHz+ overclocks. I still was able to get a decent overclock, though.

But it'll fit in your case, and I believe it has a 2 year warranty (maybe 3 year? I forget)... not the best, but pretty average among the different AIB's. Anyway, Visiontek and XFX offer the best warranties, lifetime for Visiontek and double lifetime for XFX. But, I don't know if they have any models that will fit in your case, I don't know if the reference card is longer than 10.5"... it might not be, but I just don't know off the top of my head.

Anyway, the VaporX card is shorter than the reference, is very, very quiet, and comes with a pretty average warranty. I'm just throwing it out there as another option since it may fit your needs. Good luck with whatever you get!

*edit

Card I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102872 (it is a 2 year warranty)

As someone else said above, an overclocked 5850 would give you 5870 performance and fit in your case. XFX's warranty covers overclocking I believe, so you could get that, it'll fit and have a great warranty, overclock it and save a few bucks while having no fitment issues and have a great warranty. Just a thought.

Last edited:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I second the Vapo-X recommendation, I really love mine, it's whisper quiet. Right now Egg is selling them for like $60 more than I paid for mine, which sucks.

For reference, the card is almost exactly the same size as my outgoing 260 GTX which will fit in most cases I believe with no issues.