Which 4870 1GB?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Your links seem to be broken.

I have this one paired with my 4870x2, and it runs real nice. The cooler works really well fixed at 30%, keeping it below 55C at load.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: adairusmc

I have this one paired with my 4870x2, and it runs real nice. The cooler works really well fixed at 30%, keeping it below 55C at load.

Woops, links working now.

I think it's coming down to the asus vs the sapphire you linked.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Woops, links working now.

I think it's coming down to the asus vs the sapphire you linked.

Well, the Asus card is an awesome card, but go with the one that has the best warranty. The asus card was not even out when I got mine, so I went with the sapphire. Not sure how Asus compares to sapphire when it comes to warranty though.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
even though I own a 512mb Sapphire, I have heard some horror stories about their warranty process

from what I gather, you have to pay to do an RMA, its like a $20 fee..and you have to ship your card back to Hong Kong.

I would personally go with the MSI one, but I am biased :D

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: msi1337
even though I own a 512mb Sapphire, I have heard some horror stories about their warranty process

from what I gather, you have to pay to do an RMA, its like a $20 fee..and you have to ship your card back to Hong Kong.

I would personally go with the MSI one, but I am biased :D

Holy crap......that sucks

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I bought the stock cooler HIS first and then the Sapphire heat pipe cooler card. Unfortunately I won't be able to keep both (can't afford it....mixup resulted in me buying two).

Anyway, I'll be selling the stock cooled HIS and keeping the heatpiped Sapphire.
Haven't overclocked it yet but right away I see waaaaaay better temperatures than the stock cooled HIS.

Sapphire gets my vote. :thumbsup:

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
My Sapphire needed a stupid bios update to work properly. I noticed that crashes in GTA IV were only related with the stock bios of the card. I almost RMA it, until I've read that quite every "blue PCB" had the issue.
And just because of this, I'll never buy another Sapphire videocard. A videocard should work out of the box, not after bios updates or other stuff.

Personally I wouldn't get any of those linked, being scared about the VRM cooling, since I don't know how those little heatsinks installed on them will be enough in the long run. The stock cooler of the 4870 is the best for this card. But maybe I'm little paranoiac and they would be enough. I don't know....

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The Sapphire card that I have is a "blue PCB" and it works right out of the box.
Also, the main heatsink is directly on top of the thermal pads on the VRAM chips.
Also, it has a second heatsink attached to the power circuitry.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Cheex
The Sapphire card that I have is a "blue PCB" and it works right out of the box.

I had the same impression for like, 3 months, until I had a screen corruption in Dead Space , then Autocad was the one that failed on me and finally GTA 4 was totally unplayable, it crashed at every 5 minutes.

Who knows, maybe the latest batch doesn't have this issue. But I wouldn't risk taking another Sapphire card from now on.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Well I understand. I just got mine. I hope I don't end up with those problems.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
There was a bad batch of Sapphire cards. A bios update was released promptly that completely solved the problem, and of course the new cards they produce don't have the defective old bios. At least they offered the bios update at all, other companies would likely just force you to rma or never even acknowledge that the problem exists. Sapphire fixed the problem without people even needing to send their card in.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: dguy6789
There was a bad batch of Sapphire cards. A bios update was released promptly that completely solved the problem, and of course the new cards they produce don't have the defective old bios. At least they offered the bios update at all, other companies would likely just force you to rma or never even acknowledge that the problem exists. Sapphire fixed the problem without people even needing to send their card in.

Yeah, we should give them credit for that. At least they've released a fixed bios and they had good instruction on how to flash it, without killing the card. But, then again, this issue shouldn't have been there in the first place.