Which 480/500/512 GB SSD to get? Or wait?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by CNelsonPSU, Nov 4, 2012.

1. CNelsonPSU

CNelsonPSU Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used MacBook Pro (late 2011), and it's great except for the standard 500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive. This Mac stores my iTunes and iPhoto libraries (total storage needed is about 250 GB currently), and I want to go complete SSD versus some hybrid drive or dual disk setup. 480+ GB should be more than enough for a few years.

The thing is, I'm not sure which SSD to go for. I don't want to deal with an unreliable disk, but some of the more infamous drives (Crucial m4) seem to be better with firmware updates...but I'm not entirely sure. OCZ prices are great, but then I read about horrible experiences with them.

Also, with prices dropping every day and the new year coming up, I don't know if the larger drives will be significantly cheaper soon *or* if some new drives / controllers are on the verge of being released (bringing better tech and/or price drops on earlier models).

Any advice from the experts on here would be great - thanks!

2. Hellhammer

Hellhammer AnandTech Emeritus

3. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

grab a Crucial or Sammy 512GB ... Look I have all these games installed plus apps plus data plus DAW and I have 150GB free [​IMG]

4. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Can you hold out until BF? I have a suspicion, a good number of >256's will be very attractively discounted.

5. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

RTFQ. 256's are not being considered.

6. CNelsonPSU

CNelsonPSU Member

Well, he did put ">256", so that's fine.

I can definitely wait until black friday. Considering the SSD drives now are much faster than my 5400 RPM hard drive, I think I'll feel OK in missing the next wave of SSD controllers and such.

Hope there are some awesome deals on BF!

As a final note...any brands / models I should stay away from?

7. aviator78

aviator78 Member

YOu have a Mac, so you're into reliability i guess. Assuming this, you should go for a reliable SSD like a Samsung 830/840/840 PRO. 830 is well tested and approved. 840s are newer, but already to be recommended.
    And please, stay away from Sandforce stuff.

8. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

Samsung 830 512GB, there still should be some available at very good prices. Apple use Samsung drives and Anand has also wrote about how well behaved Samsung's 830 is on OSX so it's a no brainer for me.

9. CNelsonPSU

CNelsonPSU Member

Sweet- I'll monitor the 830 during black friday. Thanks to all!

10. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

Just be aware of one thing. With the release of the 840 and 840 Pro, I have it on good authority that Samsung will be phasing out the 830 at the end of November, presumably this will be when stocks run out. The 830 has already been discounted a lot since it's release and there's no guarantee they'll be stocks left come 23 November and if they go you'll likely end up paying more for an 840 or 840 Pro even with BF's discount.

11. gpse

gpse Senior member

Samsung 830 or Crucial M4. I have a Crucial M4, never had an issue.

12. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

Plextor is likely making way for their M5 series, but that still a great price for a 512GB drive. Wonder what the 512GB Samsung 840 Pro will be going for on Nov. 22?

13. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

I cannot get one until December:(