Whey Protein users: How long is it good for before it expires? or does it expire?

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
I want to start taking protein to see if it helps me at all with my workouts. I see the cheapest way to get it is like in 2-5 lb tubs. If I get a couple 5 lb tubs of it and take it on a regular basis, will the protein go bad before I use it all? Just curious what kind of longetivity the stuff has before it expires if it actually does expire.

thanks

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
at the store i own, say that the tub is good for about month after the expiration date, and thats only if it is unopened and store in a cool dry place, if it is opened then you have to go by the expiration date.

Dogg

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: PunDogg
at the store i own, say that the tub is good for about month after the expiration date, and thats only if it is unopened and store in a cool dry place, if it is opened then you have to go by the expiration date.

Dogg

Ok, but do you know how long it usually is until the expiration date? Like when I buy milk, the expiration date is usually like a week and a half or so from the day I buy it. I'm assuming protein lasts longer but how much longer? will a 5 tub container last me a few months? years? etc. I can go to my local GNC and find out the answer this coming week but was just curious if someone on here knew.

thanks for the opened/unopened info though.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Most folks I have heard say with in 90 days after it should still be good. After that the nutrients start to lose their potency.