Whether you're a democrat or a republican you want Sweden's wealth distribution

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm whipping out the "I'm not rich, but I'm not poor either, so quit taking my shit so that I can stay not poor or heaven forbid become rich some day" card.

:thumbsup:

That I know that someone having more money than me isn't stopping me from getting my own?

Or that I want to be rich some day and know that I can't do that if every time I get ahead a little bit, I'm suddenly "too rich" and get penalized for it?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth

Putting away $25/mo instead of getting a subsidized iPhone won't make them wealthy. It will only garner them a small amount of savings.

When you have 20% of people owning 90% of the wealth, it is mathematically impossible to become "wealthy" for the remaining 80%.

So you set people in this position. Live in a tiny run down apartment, walk to work, eat rice and have no toys to play with and some savings in the bank; or mortgage a house, drive a car, eat interesting food and have the same toys as their friends and carry some credit card debt.

Which one is happier?

You have no idea how life works, do you?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
20101215-221428-pic-125665235.standalone.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

What a piece of worthless trash. I wonder which party she supports.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Putting away $25/mo instead of getting a subsidized iPhone won't make them wealthy. It will only garner them a small amount of savings.

When you have 20% of people owning 90% of the wealth, it is mathematically impossible to become "wealthy" for the remaining 80%.

So you set people in this position. Live in a tiny run down apartment, walk to work, eat rice and have no toys to play with and some savings in the bank; or mortgage a house, drive a car, eat interesting food and have the same toys as their friends and carry some credit card debt.

Which one is happier?

Really?

If one were to start investing $25/mo at age 20, and continue with no further increases, by the time they are retirement age, 70, their $15,000 contribution would be worth $185,000 at a conservative rate of 8%.

Wealthy? No. But certainly doesnt qualify as savings.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Really?

If one were to start investing $25/mo at age 20, and continue with no further increases, by the time they are retirement age, 70, their $15,000 contribution would be worth $185,000 at a conservative rate of 8%.

Wealthy? No. But certainly doesnt qualify as savings.
The family with a year or two's expenses is certainly happier when the economy tanks and they have no jobs.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Which one is happier?

If you're happy not having any savings, then why bitch about wealth inequality?

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004

Which one is happier?

The one who has everything paid off and gets to keep what he has and still stay afloat without a job when both of them get laid off.

The other guy gets his 2011 BMW repo'ed in less than 30 days because he's living check to check and has nothing to show for it, while the guy with less DVDs gets to keep his 2 year old used car clear and free and can still put gas in it to look for a job.

The other guy is stressing out, contemplating suicide, bitching that life isn't fair, and blaming rich people for screwing him.

Last edited: