Whether or Not they Shot Osama - the DNA Test was a Complete Hoax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This tinfoil hat stuff is always so amusing. Sources for scientific "facts" that need to be anonymous. References to secret agendas. Giant conspiracies involving lots of people. Pseudo-science to 'debunk' actual evidence. And people still fall for this. Sad.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Maybe they shot Osama a week before the announcement was made. They didn't say anything at the time just in case it wasn't him ;)

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
I am suspecting also that once again foxnews and talk radio will run with these conspiracies and play once again into the admims plans of outing the modern conservative movement as the out of touch crackpots they are. So easy to make fools of people whose ideology trumps reality in such a pathetically transparent way. Like taking candy from a baby really.

Last edited by a moderator:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, the 'anonymous' scientist is full of BS. My grad and post-doc friends at UC Davis can all to PCR-style DNA analysis in several hours. Admittedly, that's on like manatees and stuff, but I can't imagine human would be that different.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Post and run. Run Forest, run!

< tinfoil cat >

I know why it was faked: Obama is Osama! The sekrit muslimness goes deeper than any birther ever dared to contemplate!

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
and the op ran off. lol.

No he didn't, he had some Molecular DNA testing to do. He had to get his top of the line lab equipment all set up.

:)

ebakeoven.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol. what a load of shit.

I extract DNA on a daily basis and sequence the fuck out of it.

this is all totally legit. for one thing--DNA is entirely robust. you wouldn't even need to store tissue cold--RT is completely fine--for a few days. PCR needs minute amounts to work quite well. the purification can take as little as 30 minutes--up to 4 hours or even a day depending on what you want to do with it, but to run PCR? lol.

what a load of horseshit.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Imagine how productive and well employed the U.S. would be if conspiracy theorists put all that effort into something real and meaningful.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
lol. what a load of shit.

I extract DNA on a daily basis and sequence the fuck out of it.

this is all totally legit. for one thing--DNA is entirely robust. you wouldn't even need to store tissue cold--RT is completely fine--for a few days. PCR needs minute amounts to work quite well. the purification can take as little as 30 minutes--up to 4 hours or even a day depending on what you want to do with it, but to run PCR? lol.

what a load of horseshit.

Look man, we're not going to tell you again, a guy on the internet said it was a hoax, so it's a fucking hoax, capisce? This is such serious business he can't even tell you who he is, geez.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So a country that can build stealth helicopters and keep them secret cannot make a field-ready, "1-hour" DNA analyzer and keep it secret?

well, you're stepping into the round of science fiction. It's not about keeping the technology secret, it's about the limitations in the process.

It takes at least ~2 hours to run a simple PCR. You can get what you need--probably--halfway through a Q-PCR run, as you see the results as it's happening, but there is no way they have a machine like that to drag out to the field.

I think they did a quick-and-dirty run when they got back to base. This can all be done quite cheaply, too. Then did a more rigorous QC after.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
of course, all we need to do is get Dullard commenting about this BS.

dude designs and builds high throughput thermocyclers that he claims cut the average time in half.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He has a point. One of the most annoying things about shows like CSI is how they can make a positive DNA match in a day.

well, considering those TV labs operate on a budget some 100x the average PD budget for a crime lab, they should certainly have the technology to do it!

it can easily be done in a day, just depends on what you have. the real problem with those shows is the "put single hair follicle in machine push button get DNA BOOM!"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This tinfoil hat stuff is always so amusing. Sources for scientific "facts" that need to be anonymous. References to secret agendas. Giant conspiracies involving lots of people. Pseudo-science to 'debunk' actual evidence. And people still fall for this. Sad.

always a dead giveaway.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
If someone like Dr. Craig Venter comes out and says it's impossible, then I'll consider taking this a bit more seriously. However, I will NOT take the word of Mike Ruppert, a random "freelance journalist" who apparently couldn't hack it in the LAPD.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/health&id=8107713

It was just a few hours after the raid that investigators made the DNA match, but it's a process that sometimes takes days, if not weeks.

The DNA match of bin Laden was fast and that surprised some people because at crime labs, there's often a delay because of the case load. Baylor scientists showed us how a DNA match can be made within hours.

At Baylor's Molecular and Human Genetics lab, they showed us one way a quick DNA match could be processed in the field.

DNA from blood goes into a machine to copy it. Then it's loaded into a DNA analyzer which prints the information as graphs. Then they're read by a geneticist. How long does this take?

"Two to three hours would be easy enough; it's possible with a special effort you can get under that time somewhat," said Dr. Arthur Beaudet, head of Baylor's Molecular and Human Genetics lab.

Jun 27, 2005
LOL... This administration can't even score a perfect, head-shot victory correctly. :biggrin:

Obama manages to accomplish something the previous two administrations failed to do and he's turned it into fodder for the next "Loose Change" video. Awesome...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Judging from comments I heard the night of that the dna testing that had been done at that point gave them a high 90 percent certainty that they had him, I have no doubts that a longer more exact version was performed later.

That said, op is still a fool for pasting this garbage here with some wild ass "us is on both sides of iran" statement as reasoning.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
it's from: http://www.larsschall.com/2011/05/06/ghosts-of-september-11th/
But then sense most such conspiracy theory claptrap is quickly dispatched the same way I'm sure that Wikipedia it self is nothing but a Zionist pig propaganda rag masquerading as 'well sourced truth'.

actually i'm not familiar with Schall.

who it came from was Michael Ruppert.

"GHOSTS OF SEPTEMBER 11TH"
http://www.collapsenet.com/free-res...blic-access/item/828-ghosts-of-september-11th

personally, i don't doubt that, as Obama says, Osama no longer walks this earth.

as far as the subject of the rhetorical technique "Conspiracy Theory", we will consider that further, in another thread. i do notice that the term is trotted out and used whenever someone suggests that the US or Israel government lied or did something malevolent.

yet to admit that the US & Israeli governments lie & perform malevolent acts is not a theory, it is quite factual.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
actually i'm not familiar with Schall.

who it came from was Michael Ruppert.

"GHOSTS OF SEPTEMBER 11TH"
http://www.collapsenet.com/free-res...blic-access/item/828-ghosts-of-september-11th

personally, i don't doubt that, as Obama says, Osama no longer walks this earth.

as far as the subject of the rhetorical technique "Conspiracy Theory", we will consider that further, in another thread. i do notice that the term is trotted out and used whenever someone suggests that the US or Israel government lied or did something malevolent.

yet to admit that the US & Israeli governments lie & perform malevolent acts is not a theory, it is quite factual.

no government is innocent of lying to its people or to the rest of the world, or acting in ways that don't sit well with the general public.

it's when you tout blatantly false mumbo jumbo that pretends to be science--and is verifiable hogwash--as part of your evidence for supporting some larger crackpot conspiracy theory that you are exposed as a raving lunatic.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I've no comment about any alleged hoax.

But I don't see how the dna is all that big of a deal. OBL had a bazillion brothers and sisters. Whatever dna they collected from his sister and used for comparison can only confirm whoever was killed was related to her. Can't confirm it was OBL specifically.

Fern

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
HEY!!! Everyone is free to post on the forums... even Rush Limbaugh.
But Rush... while we are all glad to see you starting posts on the forums, stick with the day job lady. (oops)