WHEREAS... at the start of a sentence

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
udZsfb5.jpeg

WHEREAS Is it an American legal thing to put WHEREAS at the start of sentences, usually in a context that makes little sense? WHEREAS Just remove the word, the sentence makes sense.

"... the treaty was done"... christ. I did a treaty good today!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Two adjectives in the English language come after the verb or noun. And they mean roughly the same thing.
Anyone know what they are????

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
That is part of the traditional way of writing the first half of a proposal to solve a problem. In plainer current language it starts with: "Here are the facts and the situation we have to fix.". Then in the next paragraph it starts with: "So, here's what we propose to do to solve that issue". Using the two simple preface words, "Whereas" and "Therefore" is shorter.

Reactions: Muse

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That is part of the traditional way of writing the first half of a proposal to solve a problem. In plainer current language it starts with: "Here are the facts and the situation we have to fix.". Then in the next paragraph it starts with: "So, here's what we propose to do to solve that issue". Using the two simple preface words, "Whereas" and "Therefore" is shorter.

Removing 'WHEREAS' and 'NOW THEREFORE' is shorter still, and nothing is lost in the intended message.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I think this is unnecessary bullshit.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Whereas, OP is not a lawyer nor or the rare passionate law amateur.

Whereas, He posts his fury at words that actually do serve a legal purpose.

Therefore, he doesn't think like a lawyer.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Wheras's exist to paint a picture of the pressing circumstances which are the impetus for action.

I like the formality of it. Political party resolutions ('round here) all follow that format.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In the law the term whereas also is used as the introductory word to a recital in a formal document. A recital contains words of introduction to a contract, statute, proclamation, or other writing. In a contract a whereas clause is an introductory statement that means "considering that" or "that being the case." The clause explains the reasons for the execution of the contract and, in some cases, describes its purpose. The whereas clause may properly be used in interpreting the contract. However, it is not an essential component for its operative provisions.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You have to wear a wig like they do in the British parliament sometimes everytime you write that word non facetiously.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You have to wear a wig like they do in the British parliament sometimes everytime you write that word non facetiously.
They don't wear them in Parliament but I know what you mean and I support this idea. An extra wig for each offence, to be worn simulateously.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
They don't wear them in Parliament but I know what you mean and I support this idea. An extra wig for each offence, to be worn simulateously.

Signed! We can then add further penalties for further repeat offenders beyond five offences. That's scary.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Whereas, OP is not a lawyer nor or the rare passionate law amateur.

Whereas, He posts his fury at words that actually do serve a legal purpose.

Therefore, he doesn't think like a lawyer.
This is probably one of the weirdest compliments I've ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think this is what we need to bring back dignity to our federal institutions. Everyone must wear a powdered wig, no exceptions. SCOTUS too. Even the POTUS' Press Secretary. Every reporter covering the White House. TV news anchors. Females? They are OK if they wear a crucifix.