Where would Intel be today, without AMD?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I was just thinking about where would Intel be at today, if not for the competition from AMD?
My first computer was an Intel Pentium mmx 233. And that chip was the top of the Intel line for like a year and a half.
If it weren't for the K6-2's Intel would have maybe even bumped the 233 to 266 and kept it at the top for another 6 months.
And without the Athlon, well, the p2-3 line would STILL be around today, I believe.
Since it is hard to actually determine what type of cpu and its speed Intel would be selling today without AMD (for instance without AMD we would never had seen the dead end "netburst') I am shooting for a year.

Without AMD as competition since 1998 I say Intel would be a full 3 years behind where they are now. We would be where we were in 2004. There would be no home user dual cores and we would only now be getting above 1.5 ghz.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
They would probably rule the universe by now for sure. Just think Skeletor.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I doubt it. Software dev and user needs push cpu dev as well as just straight competition. The only real question in my mind is, where would the pricing be?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Snapster
Moore's law (relatively speaking), same place just more expensive.

Absolutely. Processor increases come from market demand (consumers, businesses). Moore's law would still be in place but Intel would probably be charging 2x what they do now.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I bet that Cyrix/VIA would be a LOT bigger than they are now...

But Intel would still be kicking their asses :)

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Here? :p

Anyway, after 4 AMD rigs, I'm building my first Intel machine this week . . . assuming UPS doesn't screw up again.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's really difficult to say how things would have turned out...but we can have fun speculating...Having NEVER owned an AMD processor, I can only speculate that Intel would not have progressed at the rate it did without the competition, but Moore's Law would still have driven the increases in technology.Might another company have filled the gap in competition? Maybe, but Intel would still rule the heap.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Someone else would have gone into AMD's place. Cyrix may have survived. I doubt Intel would have been without some kind of competition.

Still if Intel hadn't. The non-core2 dual cores would just be making their way to market at a cost of close to $2000 a pop, most people would be running lower end P4's (sub 2ghz) because the cheapest P4 would cost $200-$250.

My memory is a little fuzzy but I could of sworn Intel's top end processor was $3000 just before AMD put their processors out.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
Well Intel likely would have been broken up for being a monopoly.

I wouldn't be suprised if Intel uses the "but AMD exists" to counter any monopoly argument...so I can see how they have a vested interest in maintaining AMD at the same time

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
We'd probably still be running single-core Pentium 4s, high end would be 6Ghz, weighing in at a healthy 600W idle. Antec and Coolermaster would be highly profitable, we'd probably have to run air conditioning in the winter to balance out the "furnace".