Where to store components that they won't get hurt?

eyor

Banned
Feb 7, 2000
I am disassembling my computer now to do some work on the case with a dremel, and I need to take everything out. Where can i put it so that it will not be fried by static?

KouklatheCat

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
Put them all in the silver anti static bags. If you dont have anti static bags....go to your local computer store and ask for some, they probably toss them when they are done with them.

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
yup, anti-static bags. and a word of advice - whenever you buy a new electronic part, they always ship in anti-static bags(i'm talking CPU's, ram etc.) SAVE THEM! they always come in handy :)

KouklatheCat

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
Go ask one of your local computer stores for some. They will probably give you some. If you have an electronics store near you or even a FRYs electronics they probably sell them (I know FRYs does, maybie even Radio Shack). Im sure they cant be that much and that is cheap insurance your components will still work.

A2KLAU

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2000
Place them on a carpet and rub them around and then get peices of metal to spark them up! Hee Hee... ;) :) Only joking don't even think of doing that! Do what they say put them in those anti static bags! Thats what I do all the time, I have a little mound of those bags which I collect from bits that I buy or get from people who don't want them.

Good Luck and what you doing to the case? Modifing it?

SKY.

eyor

Banned
Feb 7, 2000
lotsa places there, koukla, but does anyone have any experience with any of them?

sky: I am going to be modding my case. right now though I am just testing, I was gonna cut out the fan grills, etc.

KouklatheCat

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
Nope sorry, im a pack rat I save those things. Im probably one of the few that have a 12X14 bedroom in my house for my computers so I have the room :D.

eyor

Banned
Feb 7, 2000
hmm... all of those places seem to be manufacturers.

does anyone know of a place that actually sells these bags? (in quantities less than 10000?)

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i usually just live them on a clean table, (No! YOU KEEP THAT CHILI AWAY FROM MY VID CARD! YEAH YOU SAY YOUR NOT GOING TO SPILL THIS TIME BUT I'M NOT TAKING CHANCES!) Of course, dining room table is not the best idea unless you can keep kid brothers or other such best bearing large amounts of messy liquids away from you components.

Vinny N

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2000
If you don't have a carpetted floor...well even if you do, as long as you have a table somewhere nearby, ground yourself with your case still plugged in, and keep yourself grounded as you set the stuff on the table. Handle everything carefully, avoiding capacitors and connector edges. When you grab your components to reassemble your computer, do the same thing, keep yourself grounded while bringing the components close to you, and again remember to handle everything carefully.

Or get some antistatic bags :)

DELUX

Apr 11, 2000
Put your parts in anti-static bags(you can get them at any electronics store) And then put your parts in some sort of box and put the box some where up high(out of reach of children or anything else bound on screwing over your PC)then you should be fine.