Where to stay in south LA

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Something nice for business. It looks like I'll be working in paramount area next to compton. But the coast isn't that far off.

Any suggestions on which beach to stay at and areas to avoid? Redondo is probably closest.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Paramount, you should be able to find nice hotels in Long Beach, Torrance, Redondo Beach, or Hermosa Beach.

Huntington, Laguna, Newport, and Santa Monica are too far to bother staying at if you are working in Paramount.

jimmyjam

Mar 4, 2002
I live in Redondo, so if you need any other advice of what to do around here let me know.

As far as best hotels go I do the same thing everything that my parents come to town. I bid on priceline for the Manhattan Beach area. I bid 2 1/2 star with a bid of $45-50 per night. Every time (4 different times) it's gotten accepted by Marriot Residence Inn Manhattan Beach. They loved it. It has a free happy hour of wine, beer, and appetizers every day and free breakfast to boot.

If you would rather be in Redondo or Hermosa let me know and give me a price range and I can make some recommendations. Also let me know if you'd rather be closer to the beach or to the freeways.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Sometimes when I'm down there on projects I stay at the very reasonably priced:

Redondo Pier Lodge
206 South Pacific Coast Hwy
Redondo Beach CA 90277
tel (800) 841-9777

I haven't been there in awhile. They changed the name of the place often, so it may be renamed now.

Not upscale, but good, clean place.

You've got to realize that Redondo is sort of inconvenient from the 405 freeway.

Plenty of good places to eat all around, in Redondo harbor area and in the nearby Malaga Cove area of Palos Verdes, with some nightlife and beautiful girls.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Thanks, I was looking at staying in redondo.

As long as there are things to do, nice restaurants (seafood?) and a beach close by.

wanted redondo crown plaza...can't get it though. :(

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
I stay at the Embassy Suites in El Segundo, of course, my brother is the night manager, I stay for free. It would be a good choice, the 105 is a straight shot to Paramount.

jimmyjam

Mar 4, 2002
Bummer about Crowne Plaza, it's a nice one. Are the booked full?

One of the nicer hotels we have is The Portofino Hotel. It can be pricey though, I'm not sure what your budget is.

Across from Crowne Plaza is the Best Western - Sunrise. It is nice inside and near the pier and close to Hermosa, which is where a lot of the night life is.

Avoid at all costs the Ramada Inn on PCH and Ruby St., it is a dump.

Also someone recommended the Pier lodge which used to be nice, but has kind of fallen off lately. The last person I knew that stayed there said it had a musty, moldy stench throughout the whole place and they relocated to the Best Western. I would avoid that place as well.

There are quite a few nice restaurants in the Redondo Pier area that are in walking distance of the Portofino or Best Western. On the Pier check out Kincaid's or Old Tony's. In the Marina check out Blue Water Grill or The Chart House. Let me know if you want some bar names too, those are my favorite.