Where to post senior software dev job -- dice, monster?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
We're finally going to be hiring another VC++ / MFC developer at work, unfortunately it's for someone experienced so I can't just post it here for all the seniors and recent grads :(

For anyone here who has filled developer / programmer positions, did you use Dice, Monster, or something else, and how well did they work for you? Did you place an ad, or just pay to search the resume database?

(I was disappointed to see that neither monster nor dice seems to let you search their databases without paying in advance -- no way to tell how many matches you'll find before paying.)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
It's my job to negotiate contracts with the job boards and evaluate what kind of reponse we're getting from them. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers yet to give you a good answer.

With Monster, you'll probably get the most responses. Everybody and their brother will apply. Qualified and unqualified alike. Dice is really geared to the technical.

What industry are you in? I'd suggest that you search out some industry or position-specific sites and find out if you can post there. It's often cheaper than the big boards, and it'll find you more qualified candidates.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Only job searching sucks BADLY for an employee (a million applicants), but you'll definitely have a lot of resumes to read over, most of which will not be appropriate.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I usually just hit the user groups, including the one I manage. I let a few people know, and the opportunity propagates through the community like wild fire. It gets to a point where everyone knows each other, so the jobs go rather quickly. If you're looking for a .NET developer, I'd hit the local group; there has to be one (check here if you're not sure). I'd hit the local Java group too. Going to both groups will generally cover all bases.

The only reason I don't use Monster, Dice, etc. is because I then become inundated with replies from people who are not at all qualified, or they're overseas, etc. I like to use people with local reputations.

Hope that helps.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Thanks guys!
Originally posted by: Descartes
I usually just hit the user groups, including the one I manage. I let a few people know, and the opportunity propagates through the community like wild fire. It gets to a point where everyone knows each other, so the jobs go rather quickly. ...
It's VC++ 6 / MFC position rather than .Net or java, but user groups is a good suggestion.

Only job searching sucks BADLY for an employee (a million applicants), but you'll definitely have a lot of resumes to read over, most of which will not be appropriate.
So the choice is between wading through thousands of existing resumes or being hit with hundreds of junk resumes from a posting. D'oh!

What industry are you in? I'd suggest that you search out some industry or position-specific sites and find out if you can post there. It's often cheaper than the big boards, and it'll find you more qualified candidates.
We're a Windows software company. It sounds like Dice would be a little better if we can't find anything more focused.