Question Where to install the top case fan?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I am using Dark Base Pro 900 Rev2. I have three fans at the front and one fan at the back. I want to install one more fan at the top of the case. Could you please let me know which is the best location?

(A) near back fan
(B) Right on top of the Noctua NH-D15S heatsink
(C) Are in between (A) and (B)

Is it advicable to get a bottom fan as well?

Thanks

Attachments

• location_for_top_fan.jpg
    location_for_top_fan.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 14

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Thanks. It is nice that you are using a very similar case. So it is area A in my photo.

1. Based on your experience, is there any point to add 1-2 fans at the bottom of the case?
2. Will I make it quieter if I change all the Silentwings 3 PWM 140mm high speed 1600 rpm case fans to Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM fans?
3. Do I need to worry about fan/PSU power cables touching the heatsink? I don't know if the hot heatsink would damage the cables over time.
4. It has happened a few times already. I get some kind of electric shocks (perhaps statics electricity?) when I touched the metal frame or the Noctua heatsink. Does not matter if the machine is on or off. Know what is going on? Do I have to worry? The case is on my desk.
5. I noticed that your PSU's fan is facing up. How come? I had my Corsair AX1600i's fan facing the bottom of the case.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
1. Based on your experience, is there any point to add 1-2 fans at the bottom of the case?
Not unless you are running multiple high-end video cards in there.

2. Will I make it quieter if I change all the Silentwings 3 PWM 140mm high speed 1600 rpm case fans to Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM fans?
You asked this in your other thread, and the answer is no. You can easily control the RPMs through your motherboard since they are PWM fans.

3. Do I need to worry about fan/PSU power cables touching the heatsink? I don't know if the hot heatsink would damage the cables over time.
Unless they are bare metal wires, no.

4. It has happened a few times already. I get some kind of electric shocks (perhaps statics electricity?) when I touched the metal frame or the Noctua heatsink. Does not matter if the machine is on or off. Know what is going on? Do I have to worry? The case is on my desk.
That is static electricity, and you need to ground yourself by touching a metal part on your case before touching the components. You can fry components if the static charge is strong enough.

5. I noticed that your PSU's fan is facing up. How come? I had my Corsair AX1600i's fan facing the bottom of the case.
That's how most PSU manufacturers tell you to install the fan. When it is in passive mode, if it's facing downward, the heat stays trapped in it. Plus, it helps with system temperatures when the fan comes on.

Reactions: anandtechreader

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018

You asked this in your other thread, and the answer is no. You can easily control the RPMs through your motherboard since they are PWM fans.

That is static electricity, and you need to ground yourself by touching a metal part on your case before touching the components. You can fry components if the static charge is strong enough.

That's how most PSU manufacturers tell you to install the fan. When it is in passive mode, if it's facing downward, the heat stays trapped in it. Plus, it helps with system temperatures when the fan comes on.

Thanks. Is there any way to tell if I have done some damage due to static charge?

From the photo of your computer, it looks like you mounted the top fan from inside of the case. Is there a reason for doing this rather than putting the top fan on top of the case frame and them put the screws upward from inside the case? I thought doing it the latter way gives more empty area at the top back of the case for better airflow? Am I wrong?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Your case might be slightly different, but if I installed it where you are talking about, the fan would have pretty much been right against the top cover, so it's airflow would be next to nothing. When it's installed how I did it, it pushes the air up and out of the top slits (and also out of the sides where there is that hard mesh).

As far as it you damaged anything, the only way to know if something doesn't work, or you get really odd crashes and instability.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
In their promotional video for the Rev2, they also mount the top fans like yours. Just curious, I wonder why this way is better.

Because if on top of the frame, it would almost touch the top and kill the airflow.

Just take a piece of cardboard and hold it about 1" from the fan, and see how much the airflow is reduced.

If the fan is installed where I have it (and where the reviewers show it), nothing is directly above it, and it has probably 4" - 5" to blow that hot exhaust air out.

Reactions: anandtechreader

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Because if on top of the frame, it would almost touch the top and kill the airflow.

Just take a piece of cardboard and hold it about 1" from the fan, and see how much the airflow is reduced.

If the fan is installed where I have it (and where the reviewers show it), nothing is directly above it, and it has probably 4" - 5" to blow that hot exhaust air out.

Thanks. This is very interesting.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018

Do you think the situation described in:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/no-video-signal-from-motherboard.2560093/#post-39707651

is due to static electricity damaging the motherboard/cpu/ram?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Do you think the situation described in:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/no-video-signal-from-motherboard.2560093/#post-39707651

is due to static electricity damaging the motherboard/cpu/ram?

It could be, but the only way to figure it out is to test other known good components until you figure out the problem. That's the problem as you can't tell if your issue is a configuration issue, a factory defect on one or more of the components, or if you caused damage by static electricity.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
It could be, but the only way to figure it out is to test other known good components until you figure out the problem. That's the problem as you can't tell if your issue is a configuration issue, a factory defect on one or more of the components, or if you caused damage by static electricity.

Thanks. As I just put all the components together few days ago and this no video signal issue has been happening since the beginning, I cannot tell which components are good. What is the best course of action in this case?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Supposing that static electricity did cause problems to the motherboard and/or other components, if I add new GPU and usb devices now, will those components be also damaged?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Thanks. I need to get a second opinion here. I have the Windows 10 screensaver on and went to watch TV. After a while, I went back to my room and checked out the computer. The TV screen was blank. I pressed the keyboard. Keyboard keys were on but nothing happened on the screen. I pressed the power on button on the PC case and nothing happened. No signals error was shown on the TV screen. I went to the motherboard and pressed the reset button. Fans became loud and then silent (usually happens only when I turn on the machine). ASUS logo showed up on the screen and Windows login screen appeared. I checked the power managment. It shows that the computer goes to slep after 4 or so hours.

Is this a normal behavior?

Sometimes I clicked on the Windows symbol at the bottom left but things that were supposed to appear did not appear all at once. There was a pause before they all appeared. This is a new issue that did not happen 2-3 days ago.

Perhaps it is better to change the motherboard. Is it a good idea to change the RAM as well?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's tough to say as it could be normal behavior based on your settings like sleep, hibernation, and power settings. It's tough to say for sure though since the machine isn't in front of me to diagnose.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Doubtful as long as you ground yourself before touching and installing parts.

I read that I should wear an anti-static wrist strip and connect the other end to the metal part of the computer case/PSU while the PC is plugged into the wall outlet (PC is off). When I connect myself this way, for safety, is it better to plug the PC to a GFCI outlet rather than a non-CFGI outlet?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I read that I should wear an anti-static wrist strip and connect the other end to the metal part of the computer case/PSU while the PC is plugged into the wall outlet (PC is off). When I connect myself this way, for safety, is it better to plug the PC to a GFCI outlet rather than a non-CFGI outlet?

it doesn't matter. Either one is fine.