Where to go in Caribbean Next Feb/March?

jmelnek

Sep 2, 2003
I voted for Cancun, I have not been there but last March I was on a Royal Carribean Cruise and we stopped in San Juan, Puerto Rico and it was the dirtiest place I have ever been in my life. When we were there they had the water shut off to all of the port side of the city and the restrooms were disgusting. San Juan was the worst place during our entire cruise. I was also at St. Marteen and St. Thomas both of which are beautiful places.

Josh

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: jmelnek
I voted for Cancun, I have not been there but last March I was on a Royal Carribean Cruise and we stopped in San Juan, Puerto Rico and it was the dirtiest place I have ever been in my life. When we were there they had the water shut off to all of the port side of the city and the restrooms were disgusting. San Juan was the worst place during our entire cruise. I was also at St. Marteen and St. Thomas both of which are beautiful places.

Josh
DAMN! Lurker!

When I was in the Navy I got to see a little of Puerto Rico all over. I must say that some places are MUCH nicer than others.

St Maarten and St Thomas are also excellent spots.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Playa Del Carmen. Cancun is a tourist shithole.

Indeed. Cancun airport is as close to town as you need to get, IMO. It is possible to negotiate a beach bungalo for little money and have a real getaway.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
thanks for the great suggestions, keep it coming guys. please consider that I don't speak any spanish so I would want to go somewhere that I can get around relatively easy with my 2 word vocabulary...

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ivan2
thanks for the great suggestions, keep it coming guys. please consider that I don't speak any spanish so I would want to go somewhere that I can get around relatively easy with my 2 word vocabulary...

Go to Miami? They have beaches and speak English there. :p

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
The virgin islands is where you want to go. I think Virgin Gorda (BVI) is amazing, but you could also hit up St. John for a relaxing trip. FOr more activity go to St. Thomas.

The nice thing is that it is really easy to take day trips to other islands.

All english speaking

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
snag up a resort on the Mayan coastline and you can still visit Playa Del Carmen because shuttles will leave your resort daily (they did from ours). the resort was about an hour or so south of Cancun...

my wife & i stayed at the Bahia Principe Akumel. the best tour we did was an adventure tour.

- hiking into the jungle and the Mayans cooked us lunch
- canoeing (you could see monkeys in the trees beside the lake, it was sweet)
- ziplined across a cenote filled with crocodiles
- repelled into an underground cenote where there were prehistoric fish that were there so long that they were blind because they didn't require use of their eyes anymore - they would just bump into your leg as you floated in your inner tube
- jumped off the wall inside the cenote into the crystal clear water
- tour of Coba / Pac Chen - awesome Mayan ruins

this was back in 2003 so i have no idea what effect the hurricanes have had on the Mayan coast. IIRC they got some doozies in the past 5 years.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
No clue, never been to any of those and doubt that I ever will. To expensive for the return.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
oh yeah and i'm assuming money matters because Mayan Riviera is pretty cheap in comparison to somewhere like Aruba.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: GrantMeThePower
The virgin islands is where you want to go. I think Virgin Gorda (BVI) is amazing, but you could also hit up St. John for a relaxing trip. FOr more activity go to St. Thomas.

The nice thing is that it is really easy to take day trips to other islands.

All english speaking

Virgin Gorda is great. Spent 10 days there on my honeymoon back in '05.