Where to get Tea used in Chinese restaurants??

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
The tea they use in chinese restaurants is so good. Where could i pick up this kind of tea that they use???
I have china town like 3 min's from me so if i can get a name and whatever that would be great

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
i just take about 50 teabags when i go to a chinese restaurant.
try that.. see if it works ;)

bigben

Jan 8, 2000
If you have a china town near by you should be able to find the tea easily at any grocery store there. Just ask for green tea or Oolong tea. Be careful not to let it steep too long or it tastes funny.

Also makes a great iced tea!

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Jasmine tea, is made with jasmine flower, it smells really good

while Oolong uses slightly fermented tea leaves. it's also a standard.

check out www.pearlriver.com for cheap tea tins at $2 per tin.

don't forget to pick up a set of terracotta tea sets for only $16 something. they make good christmas gifts (might be too late now). I just got mine, They are really fancy looking.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
it should be oolong tea. get the ones in the canister, not the ones from tea bags.

tea bags are for girls! ;)

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
China? Hong Kong?
my father is a tea lover, the tea he drank in here is sh*tty according to him. the tea in here is kinda sucks, imo.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
China? Hong Kong?
my father is a tea lover, the tea he drank in here is sh*tty according to him. the tea in here is kinda sucks, imo.

in here? you can get good tea here, it's just not going to be in a restaurant.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
China? Hong Kong?

That's a typical problem with most beverages here. Water tastes different in almost every part of the world. Your dad can import tea from taiwan, china, japan, india etc...and it would still taste sh!tty or distorted. I'm sure his taste buds are used to it. (This also goes for all food, dairy products around the world. It cannot be copied so easily)

But the Oolong Tea is good. I always stop by and usually have 2-3 drinks on the weekends in chinatown :)

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
My dad gets good tea from Taiwan, they are about $1000 give or take for a small container. Too bad it would be a waste for me because I can't tell the difference. :eek:

MagicianBdotCom

Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Pi314
Whatever you do, don't get bag tea - they all taste like crap.

All the teas we've talked about come in bag form, a lot of chinese restaurants use them. Anyway I like Jasmine Tea, Ooolong is darker and so more bitter. Green Tea is good but that's usually only at Japanese restaurants so probably not what you're looking for. I'm sure any grocery stores in your local chinatown should have them... if you have a chinatown where you're from. :)

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: KGB
China? Hong Kong?

That's a typical problem with most beverages here. Water tastes different in almost every part of the world. Your dad can import tea from taiwan, china, japan, india etc...and it would still taste sh!tty or distorted. I'm sure his taste buds are used to it. (This also goes for all food, dairy products around the world. It cannot be copied so easily)

But the Oolong Tea is good. I always stop by and usually have 2-3 drinks on the weekends in chinatown :)

boiled tap water should taste about the same.

Yes basically, but I go for the sights (women) and goods (stolen, warezd games) easily available. Hey $3.50 is well worth it :p

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: KGB
China? Hong Kong?

boiled tap water should taste about the same.

nah...u need to use the contaminated water from the river by which the tea trees grow, now that's authentic tea.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
I remember hearing about the "grandmaster" of tea in Japan that can take a sip of the water and tell you what river it came from in Japan.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
probably oolong.. just ask the people at the restraunt.. unless you're white.. then they'll just laugh at you... but just go to chinatown and look for oolong in a tin canister.. you can always just go to chinatown and ask which ones they think are good.. standard tea is good, but you haven't drank tea until you've had tea in china.. good stuff