Where to get "bootvis"?

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Does anyone know where I can download "bootvis", it's temporarily unavailable from the MS site.?

Thanks

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I should have it at home. I'm at work right now. If you leave your address I can email it to you. As I recall it's quite a small program.

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
I should have it at home. I'm at work right now. If you leave your address I can email it to you. As I recall it's quite a small program.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that..:D

my email addy is lparker@mcmsys.com

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: boshuter
There was no hurry. I just got your email with it.

Thank you very much. :D

boshuter I would love to take credit for it but somebody beat me to it. I tried last night around 9:00 p.m. Central time to get on the forums to get your email address again but they wouldn't load so I sent it to myself at work. I was going to send it this morning.

At least someone else was kind enough to see that you got it :D:

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Originally posted by: boshuter
There was no hurry. I just got your email with it.

Thank you very much. :D

boshuter I would love to take credit for it but somebody beat me to it. I tried last night around 9:00 p.m. Central time to get on the forums to get your email address again but they wouldn't load so I sent it to myself at work. I was going to send it this morning.

At least someone else was kind enough to see that you got it :D:

Oh... hehehe, I didn't pay much attention to the email, I just assumed you had sent it.

I just looked and it's from a member named "RVN"...... I'm hoping he sees this, and I still thank you for the offer and taking the time to mess with it.. :)

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
If you're putting Bootvis on a P4 Hyperthreading system you need a patch from MS so it will work OK. Look at the ReadMe that comes with the newer versions of Bootvis for info on this. If you want the patch you'll have to phone MS and sweet-talk it out of them.

I've sent 2 emails to MS asking why they've pulled it from the site and got no reply yet. I also asked the guy on the phone when I called to get the patch and he had no idea why it was pulled, although he did know that it had been removed.

I looked around the internet other day and found a version (v1.3.37.0) from May of this year. I got the patch from MS and ran Bootvis on my P4 3.0C box. It seems to have worked fine and cut my boot times from 26 seconds to 16-17 sec.

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
I've found it on the emule network, but can't tell what versions are there. There is differing sizes though.

RVN

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: madthumbs
I've found it on the emule network, but can't tell what versions are there. There is differing sizes though.

The newer version 1.3.37 is 968 KB ...the older version was 328 KB.

...From the README file with the new version...
Issues Corrected In This Release
The current version (1.3.37) of bootvis addresses the following known issues.
Resolves a compatibility issue when running on Intel® Pentium® 4 processors with Hyper-Threading Technology enabled.
NOTE: In order to correct a problem with Bootvis tracing on systems with Hyper-Threading Technology, a kernel hot fix is required. Refer to Knowledge Base article Q821581 for more details and to obtain the fix.
Resolves a compatibility issue when using third-party IDE drivers.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 821581

Thanks for pointing the hyperthreading issue out RalfHutter. I am just now installing this on a P4 3.2GHz w/HT and was unaware of it (I hadn't bothered to read the README) ...I don't seem to be having any problems with it ...startup is in fact down to seventeen seconds!
How would you know if the trace data was corrupt or missing?

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: RalfHutter
If you're putting Bootvis on a P4 Hyperthreading system you need a patch from MS so it will work OK. Look at the ReadMe that comes with the newer versions of Bootvis for info on this. If you want the patch you'll have to phone MS and sweet-talk it out of them.

I've sent 2 emails to MS asking why they've pulled it from the site and got no reply yet. I also asked the guy on the phone when I called to get the patch and he had no idea why it was pulled, although he did know that it had been removed.

I looked around the internet other day and found a version (v1.3.37.0) from May of this year. I got the patch from MS and ran Bootvis on my P4 3.0C box. It seems to have worked fine and cut my boot times from 26 seconds to 16-17 sec.

Good call RalfHutter. I'm with AMD though, so this won't affect me but for those Intel folks this should be helpful.

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
Originally posted by: RVN

How would you know if the trace data was corrupt or missing?

You wouldn't be able to view the graphic results of running Bootvis. When you run it it creates a rather large (33MB in my case) ".bin" file. If you open this file you will see performance graphs of the various parameters that Bootvis checks as your Windows loaded.

There's an absolutely fascinating article about fast booting and Bootvis here. It's a great read, if you're a True Geek! :)

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
Hmmn, the one I got and used is 630K. I forgot that it's suggested that you defrag before using this.

RVN

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: madthumbs
Hmmn, the one I got and used is 630K. I forgot that it's suggested that you defrag before using this.

The older version is 328 KB zipped ...629KB unzipped. The July 2003 one is 928KB. Here is an excerpt from the white paper that was just updated yesterday.
BootVis.exe Tool Updated September 19, 2003
They changed the "Temporarily Unavailable" to " No Longer Available From This Site"

Thanks for the answer about the data being corrupt or missing RalfHutter ...the latest version works okay on my P4 HT.