Where to find bare home audio speakers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LordMorpheus, Oct 9, 2004.

1. LordMorpheus

LordMorpheus Diamond Member

Some of you may remember me yammering on about my stereo, a 1970 Sony STR-7065A . . .

Well, I've got a pair of pioneer bookshelf speakers, similiar vintage, that suffer from a combination of rotted-out paper cones/ blown.

But I don't want to ruin the aesthetic of the setup with new speakers. Where can I buy the bare speakers to put into these cadinets?

I thought for a while about car audio speaks, but I don't know if they will work wtih a home audio reciever, or maybe they are overkill.

The speakers have a little ("tweeter"?) speaker on top and a larger one on bottom, which I assume is the subwoofer, its about 6 inches across . .

So I'm looking for a pair of bare 6" subs for use in a home stereo. Where can I find a pair of them and how much should I expect to pay?

2. 95SS

95SS Golden Member

Parts Express

Find the impedance on your current speakers, either on the driver itself or on the cabinet, it will most likely be 8 ohms. Find a new driver that has the same impedance, and is the same size. I wouldn't spend more than 15-20 bucks per driver, you could get a cheap set of bookshelf speakers new for a little more than that.

3. LordMorpheus

Wow. Thanks for the help, man. You rock.

4. Howard

Howard Lifer

I'm assuming you're not worrying too much about the sound quality. ;)

5. LordMorpheus

You'd be surprised, this thing sounds better than my other stereo does, its got great quality when I was using newer speakers . .. but those weren't mine and I couldn't take them with me.

With a decent pair of subs in my current enclosures it'll have great sound. The STR-7065A was top of the line in its day, and I've got mine to nearly perfect condition now. With modern speakers (in old school cabinets) it will totally rock.