Where to buy tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by krunchykrome, Oct 5, 2009.

1. krunchykrome

krunchykrome Lifer

In the past, we've always bought tires at Mr.Tire. However, I'm not sure that they offer the best deals. For example, a few months ago, we needed new tires on our Honda CRV. We went to Mr.Tire and they had a deal buy 3 get the 4th for free. We took the deal, and we got four tires, installed, etc for around $550. I later did my research on the tires we got, and I found out they were below average tires, and that competitors were charging abuot the same price for them.

The car that we need tires for now is a 04 Acura TSX. I want performance all-season tires, but I dont want to break the bank, and I'd prefer to take the car somewhere that will sell, and "install" the tires. My budget is about $600 total.

Any suggestions where to go? Who has the deals? I was thinking about checking out Costco and Sears.

2. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak Platinum Member

I always buy my tires at tirerack.com and mount them myself. If you don't have access to that, you can always buy the tires there and take them somewhere to be mounted & balanced. That said, look at GoodYear Eagle GT's, I haven't used them myself (I don't run all-seasons otherwise I would) but have heard nothing but good things from some people I know that are using them and had them through the winter last year with no issue. They are relatively cheap as well. It looks like 215 is standard on the TSX which you can't get the Eagles in, but tirerack is listing 225's for your car as well which they do make the GT in for $103/tire. Mounting & balancing should be $35/tire at most if you bring your own tires to a shop, but you should be able to find it for less.

3. zoiks

zoiks Lifer

Also check discount tire direct.

4. onza

onza Diamond Member

costco

5. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

tirerack.com
    tires.com
    tiresdirect.net
    tires-easy.com

6. krunchykrome

krunchykrome Lifer

Hmm, MrTire is charging $156 (on the rim and out the door) for the Eagle GT tire.

7. angry hampster

angry hampster Diamond Member

Sam's Club typically has very good deals on tires.

8. ChaosDivine

ChaosDivine Senior member

TireRack, DiscountTire, Sam's, Costco.

Got Eagle GTs for the 98 Cavvy and Michelin Xi2s for the 06 LS @ TireRack.
    Got Michelin Xi2s for the 98 Cavvy and Bridgestone Pole Positions for the 06 LS @ Sam's Club.

9. helpme

helpme Diamond Member

I have an 06 TSX and I bought a set of BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S from tire rack (111$ each) and had them mounted locally for 15$ each. You can use tire rack to locate an installer near you and send the tires right to them. The mounting prices should also be listed on the tire rack pages.

Good grip in the dry and snow (many trips to the snow for me).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...false&fromCompare1=yes

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE OEM MICHELIN MXM4s. Worst tire for 200$ each ever.

10. ballmode

ballmode Lifer

11. chin311

chin311 Diamond Member

Im probably going to try sams club when the time comes.

12. kalrith

kalrith Diamond Member

I always use tirerack.com. I found that the installers listed on tirerack's website are more expensive than the place I usually go ($50 with tax included for mounting and balancing 4 tires and disposing of the old ones). You can get cash back by making an account on fatwallet.com and checking out through their link: http://www.fatwallet.com/s/568/17/?afsrc=1. My last set of tires were Firehawk Indy 500s for my '92 Cougar (size 215/65-15). They were $364.92 shipped + $50 installation - $10.56 cashback = $404.36 total.

Places like Costco and Sam's Club are good choices for their replacement warranties. They seem to cost about $20 more per tire than tirerack. I do, however, have to pay tax at Sam's Club and don't on tirerack, so the difference will be less if you have to pay tax at tirerack.

13. BW86

BW86 Lifer

I usually buy them from tirerack and get them mounted/balanced at the local tire shop. A few days ago the local shop charged me $75 for all 4 tires mounted and balanced and that included 4 new valve stems.