Where to buy cheap college books?

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
So I am a freshman at a community college, I take 4 basic c;asses plus a Java programming class.

Where do I buy cheap textbooks? Stuff in bookstore is $60+ even used!

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
$60... wow, ou really are a freshman. Most my books are $130 new and $90 used.

Anyways, check amazon, craigslist and google "used textbooks". Are a couple sites that help students exchange. Maybe you got one used directly for your college; people set one up at my school where you post stuff for sale. Also, check some local college listings/billboards. Should be programs at your college to help with used books.

Good luck.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
You can save a lot of money by waiting until after the 1st day of class. Many times a prof will list books in the syllabus and never ever touch them or mention them in class. Don't buy 'solutions manuals' crap that you can probably find online ( at other colleges using the same texts or even at the same ).

I probably could have saved a few hundred dollars had I done this the first ~3 semesters.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
facebook people who took the class and offer to buy their books if they didnt' sell them back? Scored me a Calc IV book for 20 bucks.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
half.com

I got $500 in books (if I bought it at ANY of the book stores on and in campus) for $140 bucks this week. I usually either profit or break even when I sell my books to the stores.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Why half.com when addall.com searches several places? Half.com has rarely come up as the cheapest in my experience. I've heard the most stories of people getting ripped off from half.com too.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: duragezic
Why half.com when addall.com searches several places? Half.com has rarely come up as the cheapest in my experience. I've heard the most stories of people getting ripped off from half.com too.

Hmm.. I've used half.com (before it was bought by ebay) and I've had no problems. I just wish people would leave damn feedbacks!

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I've always used Amazon and if the price sucked there I would look for it on half.com. I probably spent half as much on books because of that. Plus I generally got to sell them back to the Bookstore for a similar price to what I bought them for.

seanc85

Mar 27, 2007
www.challephoto.com
I too would reccommend buying them used from amazon marketplace
but be aware that if your classes start in a few days there is pretty much no way you will get them on time

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
half.com is a good place. or if you have access to a copier...

also, i think it's important to know in the first place whether you need the textbooks or not. if the classes are heavily lecture based, books won't matter. if you need it, go read in the library.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions!
The professors will say what book in the first day of class, I don't think they expect everyone to have the books next day.