Where to buy a used BMW besides eGay Motors?????

DaviDaVinci

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
I'm looking for a BMW E46 (the new body style) convertible with a hard top. 5 Speed. I don't care about what year since I have a BUDGET!! I see some good deals on eGay here and there but shipping is pretty high for a car plus I don't get to check it out in person or get it checked if they are far away. l've looked at the local paper also and can't find what I want.

My budget is what I can get for my 98 limited 4x4 4Runner Excellent condition with almost 100k highway miles. ~$16,000 - ~$18,000? I don't know.

I was going to buy one last year, then changed mind, now want one again and definitely selling my truck now.

Also, any tips on getting most money for my vehicle? Should I put like a hot babe in the passenger seat in a bikini? :D

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't think its gonna happen unless you get a salvaged e46, which would be a simply horrible idea.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Autotrader and www.cars.com are my two favorite used car search engines.

Use Kelley's or Edmunds to get used car values. I doubt your SUV is worth that much. Highway miles don't really determine the price of your car, but they would determine whether or not someone will buy your car.

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Autotrader and www.cars.com are my two favorite used car search engines.

Use Kelley's or Edmunds to get used car values. I doubt your SUV is worth that much. Highway miles don't really determine the price of your car, but they would determine whether or not someone will buy your car.

Agreed.

Getting a used E46 might not be a good idea. unless you find a "old lady" who happens to be selling her car. ;)

--Scsi

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Dude not to be insulting but you MIGHT have a chance at an E36 with 80K. The only E46 convertible in your range would definitely be salvage. If you know a BMW mechanic or can locate a web insurer that will cover it (unlikely) maybe it's worth it. I believe a 2001 330i convertible with 42K sold for $30K on Ebay last week . . . that's a pretty good deal.

330i

I concur with autotrader being a good place to search. You could also try BMW Car Club.

On a lighter note if you've got a really long fishing pole I know where you could get a nice 2003 . . .:D

Feb 24, 2001
And not to be insulting either, but could you afford the insurance or even worse, the maintenance?

What happens when that header blows? Certainly not an impossiblity. Anyone can work on a Dodge, but who would you trust to work on a real nice BMW? I'd only trust the BMW folks (well wouldn't really trust them even then, but still...) and you can imagine how expensive it would be.