where to buy a home defense shotgun...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I bought a Remington Xpress pump at Big 5..18" bbl wit 12gauge 3" mags..plug removed.00buckshot. Come on in bad guys. :D

Promethply

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, just step into Walmart, and get a 12 gauge pump action shotgun plus some 00 buckshot in a 3 inch shells.

jerryjg

Banned
Jul 2, 2005
first of all,remember that people are living creatures-like pete moss, so i would first try to reason with the intruder- ask him if hes hungry-tell him you have some lunchmeat in the frig. if that doesnt work, i would try any standard 12 gauge automatic shotgun. Myself- i have a 20 gauge breechload 1 round shotgun with a few rounds handy to load if necessary. i am too concerened about legal issues-being sued. i would NOT reccomend the street splatter 12- special!! remember, if you kill someone and he runs outside,drag his ass inside quick and tell the police he ran back inside after you.they arent stupid-they will know what happenend, but they will help you cover your ass, cause they are on your side.

FreshFish

Golden Member
May 16, 2004
Just out of curiosity, why is 7 rounds the sweetspot? Do home intruders often come in packs of 7?

cornbread

Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Bigsm00th
Originally posted by: stars
Remington Model 1100

why? i dont know much about shotguns...id like to hear your reasons

It's cheap and its a good all-around pump shotgun.. You can get one at walmart.. Don't bother with their New England el cheapo ~100$ guns.. Get the Remington

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: cornbread
Originally posted by: stars
Remington Model 1100

why? i dont know much about shotguns...id like to hear your reasons

It's cheap and its a good all-around pump shotgun.. You can get one at walmart.. Don't bother with their New England el cheapo ~100$ guns.. Get the Remington
I think that's the model I got...I know it's a Remington and I got it at Walmart. Holds 7 shells. Then I got some elephant rounds because they're more fun to blow stuff up in the yard with than buckshot.

But I don't know anything about guns either.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Dicks sporting goods is a good place. Then, you can just saw off the barrel to about only the end of the hand stock and its good to go. Just get an auto and slam it full of 7 shells of XXX buck. Nobody, will walk away from that even with kevlar on.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
thanks for the advice everyone...i appreciate it a lot. ill go do a little more shopping today and ill update with what i get.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: montanafan
I bought a Savage .22 caliber bolt action rifle at Dick's Sporting Goods. It has a 10 shot clip and cost under $100. I figured the bolt action sound would be good like the pump type and the smaller caliber would be good in case it ever did have to be fired inside the house to scare someone away - less damage to the house, if not the intruder.

i think i have the same.. but they have several savage .22 models.. i also got a remington 700p with 100 round of armor piercing ammo :) mhmm armor piercing...

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
thanks for the advice everyone...i appreciate it a lot. ill go do a little more shopping today and ill update with what i get.
You do that....just remember that buying a quality gun doesn't mean much if you don't clean it regularly and keep it in a climate controlled, low humidity place. Your gun will rust and the terrorists will win if you don't clean it.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Check out Mossberg's Cruiser, also the Benelli Nova special purpose.

I have the Benelli (with ghost ring sights), I love it.

Plan to get the recoil reducer & mag extension as well, stock it only holds 4 3" shells.

Viper GTS

Jon855

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2005
im looking around stores and ive been asking people what they recommend, so i figured the next obvious step is to ask ATOT.

what kind of shotgun would you get and where would you buy it? ideally id like one that could hold at least 5-6 rounds, but 7 would be better.

i shot one the other day that held 9 and, even though it was pretty sweet, i dont think its totally necessary.

Just make sure the numbers of muntions it can hold's within the state's law or for that matter county as well. Most laws that I know will limit you to 6 in the tubes [including one chamber, meaning 5 in the tubes] as a max. Just look around for a used Rem Pump Shotgun, for home defense you would want a tight choke installed on it as well, and use Buckshot #00 and opt for slightly shorter barrel. But in the price range, all I can think of will run u up to eh from 200 - couple Ks...

stars

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2002
Bigsm00th, they suggested a Mossberg 835 pump shotgun 12 gauge w/ 18 1/2 inch barrel w/ black synthetic stock. Should be around 250 new or if you can find one at a pawn shop for 150 - 175. If possible fire one before buying it. You may want to get a 20 gauge due to the pistol grips being hard to control. Hope this helps.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: montanafan
I bought a Savage .22 caliber bolt action rifle at Dick's Sporting Goods. It has a 10 shot clip and cost under $100. I figured the bolt action sound would be good like the pump type and the smaller caliber would be good in case it ever did have to be fired inside the house to scare someone away - less damage to the house, if not the intruder.

No offense but this is an awful, awful home-defense weapon. It's unwieldy, has very little stopping power, and requires a reasonable degree of accuracy at a time your hands will likely be very unsteady.

andy9o

May 27, 2005
I would recommend this. Only holds 5 rounds, but can be reloaded quickly with a speed-loader. It's a smaller weapon than a shotgun, offering improved mobility in a close quarters situation. The 500 Magnum is the most powerful handgun in the world. It was mentioned recently on Roll Call as being the ONLY sidearm to carry when you might need to protect yourself from a Grizzly Bear.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I have a Winchester Defender 12ga that I like.

I'd definately go for the 12ga over the 20ga, I am not a big guy by any means and I have no problem controlling the 12ga.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: andy9o
I would recommend this. Only holds 5 rounds, but can be reloaded quickly with a speed-loader. It's a smaller weapon than a shotgun, offering improved mobility in a close quarters situation. The 500 Magnum is the most powerful handgun in the world. It was mentioned recently on Roll Call as being the ONLY sidearm to carry when you might need to protect yourself from a Grizzly Bear.

That is a bad idea on so many levels.

andy9o

May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052

but, think of the look on their faces when they're looking down that barrel...
and it gives you the one perfect chance to do your dirty harry routine.
"....Do I feel lucky, well, do ya... PUNK"

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Good way to get yourself killed.

andy9o

May 27, 2005

Good way to get yourself killed.

need to die sometime. might as well be worth reading about

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
12 gauge mossberg. 2 shots and you can wet like half a block

maybe I am partial cuz its made in my hometown