where to buy a home defense shotgun...

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
im looking around stores and ive been asking people what they recommend, so i figured the next obvious step is to ask ATOT.

what kind of shotgun would you get and where would you buy it? ideally id like one that could hold at least 5-6 rounds, but 7 would be better.

i shot one the other day that held 9 and, even though it was pretty sweet, i dont think its totally necessary.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
who needs a shotgun when you got a penguin?

that being said, mossberg and remington are the 2 most commonly thrown around nmaes

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
lol... you can get a good deal at walmart or target if you aren't planning on shooting over 1000 rounds with it over its lifetime.... 100-120$

no idea how those will hold up

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: acemcmac
lol... you can get a good deal at walmart or target if you aren't planning on shooting over 1000 rounds with it over its lifetime.... 100-120$

no idea how those will hold up

i dont plan on taking it to shoot skeet or anything...just something to have around the house incase a situation arises.

however, id rather get something i know i can depend on.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I have been told that most burglars will run just after hearing a shotgun get pumped- but I'd rather think that given the chance I'd rather kill the pos and help out the gene pool. This may or may not be a feature you want ;)

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Or if you feel a bit of a trigger happy fella.

Grab a dragunov and shoot the crap out of them...
Or grab a smg (japanese lines that stuns but doesn't kills) such as the sebaru and yeah...

Thx for the $.21

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: jewno
just grab a paintball gun and shoot robbers in the face or balls.

Every source on home defense that I've found says that if you're going to shoot the intruder, kill the intruder.

stars

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2002
I'm no gun guru. I've just always liked them over other shotguns that I've used on the range and for skeet. Really though, if it's only purpose is for home protection any shotgun should do fine. My dad and brother have collected guns and worked with them for years. I'll be glad to ask them tomorrow on what they would suggest. What price range are you wanting to buy? And do you plan to use it for more than home protection?

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Every source on home defense that I've found says that if you're going to shoot the intruder, kill the intruder.

i'd rather to shoot some paintball balls and pour in cowboy skills to cattle tie the intruder. then tell them who's the daddy. :p

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: stars
I'm no gun guru. I've just always liked them over other shotguns that I've used on the range and for skeet. Really though, if it's only purpose is for home protection any shotgun should do fine. My dad and brother have collected guns and worked with them for years. I'll be glad to ask them tomorrow on what they would suggest. What price range are you wanting to buy? And do you plan to use it for more than home protection?

the difference with home defense shotguns is they hold more rounds and have a shorter barrel. you cant be swinging around a huge gun in the house - it would really reduce your mobility. plus a pistol grip would be nice, but i could do without that if the only weapons that featured pistol grips were too expensive.

ask them what would be reliable, hold 5-7 rounds, and not be TOO expensive. by too expensive i mean it cant be more than a few hundred dollars.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Pump action shot gun, I'd suggest check them out at Outdoor world if you have one in your area.

The sound of cocking the gun is enough to scare aware any would be intruder.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

if someone breaks into my house and threatens me or my family, they will be getting the business end of a hole in the chest. id have no qualms about doing it, either. i have no idea why the person would want to be in my house and im not going to risk getting killed or getting my wife/kids killed. id rather kill the scumbag who broke in.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
walmart

ive been by there to see what my local walmart carries and the selection is very limited. IIRC, there are like 4 shotguns total.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I bought a Savage .22 caliber bolt action rifle at Dick's Sporting Goods. It has a 10 shot clip and cost under $100. I figured the bolt action sound would be good like the pump type and the smaller caliber would be good in case it ever did have to be fired inside the house to scare someone away - less damage to the house, if not the intruder.