Where should I go this summer?

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
I am planning my vacation this summer, but I cannot decide where to go. Of course, the obvious solution to that problem is to ask some random people on the Internet ;-)

I will go with my girlfriend, and we have narrowed down to Southern England, Ireland or somewhere in the US, probably New York. But which?

Opinions?

I am from Denmark btw.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Ireland has probably the most beautiful landscape in the world. Definitely go there and take a drive through the countryside if you're looking for something romantic.

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Ireland sounds like a the top candidate. It is a cheap trip as well - nice.

Gnrslash4life - Air Lingus flies directly to Copenhagen from Ireland quite cheaply.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
With the dollar being so low right now, wouldn't it be the perfect time to visit the US?

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
With the dollar being so low right now, wouldn't it be the perfect time to visit the US?

The downside is the very expensive flight, versus the actually pretty cheap flight from Denmark to Ireland.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: DEMO24

The downside is the very expensive flight, versus the actually pretty cheap flight from Denmark to Ireland.

Depends how long he plans on staying. If its more than a couple weeks the exchange rate definitely favors a US trip even with the more expensive flight.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I would go to Ireland, but because I'm from the US.

You might have a more interesting experience if you come to NY, NY.

May 31, 2001
Denmark didn't go to the Euro, did it? They just pegged their currency to its value, or something along those lines?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Denmark didn't go to the Euro, did it? They just pegged their currency to its value, or something along those lines?

Yea, they still use the Krone which has a steady rate with the Euro.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
It all depends what you are looking to do and of course what you're interested in! They all have a different things to offer.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com

yeah, by summer, the US dollar will be about 10:1 against the Euro

please bring your friends on ATOT some bread and crumbs, we'll all be homeless/starving by then

imported_yovonbishop

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2004
Ireland FTW.

I went there and even on rainy, windy days (which is most days), we had a lot of fun. I would suggest visiting near the Dublin and Donegal areas and Galway if you get the chance.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: oynaz

Gnrslash4life - Air Lingus flies directly to Copenhagen from Ireland quite cheaply.

Air Lingus? Sounds like an airline with happy endings...

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
US - the exchange rate is in your favor.

No better time to be a tourist in the states.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I say the U.S., at least because the dollar is weak relative to just about every other currency at the moment. Thus, it would be cheaper for you to come to the U.S. than ireland or the UK. As for suggestions as to where to go, I would check out the following:

Cities:
1. Washington D.C. (arguably more monuments and museums than anywhere else in the U.S.)
2. Boston: Small city, great food, good U.S. revolutionary war stuff, interesting museums, and ~2 hour drive to the Maine coast;
3. New York: It is a huge city (which to me is a turn off) and is VERY expensive (another turnoff), but there is nothing like the big apple;
4. Philadelphia (more U.S. historical stuff)

Beach Towns/areas:
1. Cape Hatteras, North Carolina/Ocracoke Island (still one of the best beaches on the east coast, and certainly one of the best fishing locations);

2. Martha's Vinyard

3. Cape Cod

4. Myrtle Beach

imported_yovonbishop

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Prism
Originally posted by: oynaz

Air Lingus? Sounds like an airline with happy endings...

It's Aer Lingus.

And yes, I thought the name was quite.. well.. yeah.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
Ireland has probably the most beautiful landscape in the world. Definitely go there and take a drive through the countryside if you're looking for something romantic.

I've been to neither, but from reviews and first-hand accounts, I'd take New Zealand over Ireland in this category. nothing against Ireland...but lack of mountains and such