Where (local) can I buy those "Mechanix" gloves?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
You know, the cool ones you wear while working on the car? They are worn like a batting glove....has the wrist-strap-closure thingee.

Do they sell them at Autozone/OReilly's?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv
They have them at Napa auto parts and Pep Boys in my area.

Hey thanks, trmiv. Would you happen to know approximately how much $$$ they are?

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Hey thanks, trmiv. Would you happen to know approximately how much $$$ they are?

They are pretty cheap for what they are. If I remember correctly they are about $25 or $30 for a set.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I've seen them for $20 at most stores. One (I don't remember who it was) had a flier in the paper a couple of weeks ago selling them for $10. Guess demand has fallen on them a little.

Autozone $19.99

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: yakko
Originally posted by: MichaelD

They are pretty cheap for what they are. If I remember correctly they are about $25 or $30 for a set.

Wow, that much, huh? Granted, I've never actually seen them in person...I have a set of "utility gloves" from Home Depot that are similar. They are made of cloth, but the fingers and palm area have a rubberized-grippy-surface...kind of like thousands of little rubber "dots" that make it very easy to pick things up.

I will be changing the springs and shocks on my ttuck this weekend. Would like to keep my hands clean and protected.

Before you guys yell "WUSS!"; believe me, there have been literally hundreds of times that I have gotten my hands so greasy grimey filthy that I couldn't pick up a wrench. Problem is that it takes days to finally get that last bit out from under your nails.

In my line of work, I do a bit of "grip and grin" meeting people and such. Filthy hands and a suit and tie don't quite match, you know?

*ahem* besides, my GF "does my nails" (cuts nails and does the cuticle push-back and trim thing) once every two weeks. I like it. :) Don't want to mess it up.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I would never dream of calling you a wuss for this. I used to be a mechanic so I know the reason for getting these is perfectly acceptable.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They are great gloves, my dad uses them for working on my race car (and he's been a professional mechanic for 40 years, so no you're not a wuss). The one's my dad has have kevlar in them, which make them great for changing plugs when the headers are hot, or changing front tires when the lug nuts are hot from the brake rotors after coming in off the track. You can handle that hot stuff and not get burned.