Where is the line between vigilant and aggressive?

Nov 17, 2019

We read stories about officers being overly aggressive with some drivers. But there are an awful lot of cases out there where the driver exits and opens fire on the officer(s) without warning.

How do we train them to be effective and safe without crossing the line to abusive?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
What are the statistics on drivers opening fire on officers in a stop?
Should police officers even bother pulling cars over?

I am of the opinion that traffic violations should be handled by a totally separate entity. With few exceptions, their responsibility would ONLY be to levy civil penalties and would not bother with checking for warrants and things.
Yes, it lets some criminals go. It also takes people off edge.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69
Nov 17, 2019
I am of the opinion that traffic violations should be handled by a totally separate entity.
A significant number of serious felons or fugitives are captured in traffic stops. Domestic assaults and kidnappings have been halted by a simple turn violation.

Traffic stops are among the most dangerous things officers do. It is very, very easy for a simple stop to go really bad in the blink of an eye.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A significant number of serious felons or fugitives are captured in traffic stops. Domestic assaults and kidnappings have been halted by a simple turn violation.

Traffic stops are among the most dangerous things officers do. It is very, very easy for a simple stop to go really bad in the blink of an eye.

Those aren't stats and sometimes its the cops themselves who cause the danger in violation of their training and department policy:

Before the Final Frame: When Police Missteps Create Danger

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I see a trend.

Reactions: Meghan54