Where Is Real Benefit In Crossfire?

Gildor57

Nov 14, 2009
I am about to put together a new i7-920 based system. I find myself in possession of two 5870's. My heavy hitting applications are:

Photo editing of raw photo files (10-15 MB each)
Video editing/encoding/transcoding
Occasional game
Multi-tasking with all of the above.

So the question is do I keep both or sell one of them. I am not going for absolute money savings here, so it won't break me financially if I keep both, but on the other hand, I don't want to throw money away if the benefit is minuscule (I have no interest in "bragging rights").

A couple of other things:
The cards will be driving a 1920x1200 25.5" Asus monitor.
I may upgrade to a i9 if Intel ever puts one out that is not insanely expensive, and I will likely be keeping this system awhile. This new system is replacing a 5 year old P4-based system.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
The 2nd card will increase your framerate in games, but I don't think there are many games that stress a single 5870 at 1920. I'm fairly certain your video card has very little to do with photo editing, and the encoders that use videocard hardware are very limited.

Gildor57

Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. Its about what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I don't game enough to have the increased framerate be worth it to me. I am just a shade tree photographer/video type, so the Quadro CX suggestion, while interesting, is out of my league.

ebay, here I come!:D